Zelinski History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The surname Zelinski comes from the Polish word "ziel," which is the color green, and as such many of the variants of this name were associated with growing things. As a surname, it may be also have been habitational name, taken on from any of many place named with this word.
Early Origins of the Zelinski family
The surname Zelinski was first found in Novwina in Cracow, a province of Poland which lies centrally, bounded by Kielce, Lublin, Silesia and Lwow. The capitol city is Cracow, said to be the intellectual center of Poland. The region is composed of Poles and Gorale (Highlanders) who speak their own dialect and wear picturesque costumes. The chief towns of the province are Cracow, Tarnow, and Nowy Sacz. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Zelinski family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zelinski research. Another 99 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1661, 1605 and 1790 are included under the topic Early Zelinski History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zelinski Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zelinski, Zelisnick, Zielonka, Zelewski, Zielinski, Zieleniewski and many more.
Early Notables of the Zelinski family (pre 1700)
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zelinski Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zelinski migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zelinski Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Zelinski, who settled in Baltimore in 1828
- Eva Zelinski, aged 24, who settled in America from Poltek, Russia, in 1893
- Adolf Zelinski, who immigrated to Illinois in 1896
Zelinski Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Josef Zelinski, aged 33, who immigrated to the United States from Lamssolno, Russia, in 1905
- Josef Zelinski, aged 32, who landed in America from Warschau, Russia, in 1907
- Karol Zelinski, aged 18, who settled in America from Dabrowica, in 1907
- Janina Zelinski, aged 5, who landed in America from Warschau, Russia, in 1907
- Jakob Zelinski, aged 25, who immigrated to America from Dessapre, Austria, in 1909
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Zelinski (post 1700) +
- Robert Paul Zelinski (b. 1920), American chemist
- Daniel Zelinski (b. 1922), American professor
- Jeff Zelinski (b. 1982), Canadian CFL football defensive back
- Indrek Zelinski (b. 1974), Estonian football manager and retired football striker
Related Stories +