Zayas History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Zayas is of Polish origin, and is derived from the Polish word "zajac," meaning "hare." The name was likely first borne by someone who hunted hare.
Early Origins of the Zayas family
The surname Zayas was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the Zayass became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Zayas family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zayas research. Another 142 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1412, 1464, 1500, 1597, 1600, 1722, 1723, 1791, 1818, and 1826 are included under the topic Early Zayas History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zayas Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zajac, Sajaczek, Zayac, Zajack, Zajaksky, Zajakski, Sajeck, Zejac, Zejazek, Sajak, Sayjack, Sajack and many more.
Early Notables of the Zayas family (pre 1700)
Prominent among those of the name Zayas in this period were many members the Zajacek family of Stammsitz, who lived in Poland and Bohemia and owned the principalities of Oppeln, Ratibor, Teschen, and Troppau. Friedrich...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zayas Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Zayas migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Zayas Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Leonor De Zayas, who landed in America in 1814 
- Alonso De Zayas, who arrived in Peru in 1834 
- Manuel Zayas, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1850 
- Jose Zayas, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1854 
- Isaac Zayas, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1868 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Zayas (post 1700) +
- Vicente Zayas Pizarro, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Puerto Rico, 1916, 1920 (alternate) 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2016, January 15) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html