on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Zapata family come from? What is the Spanish Zapata family crest and coat of arms? When did the Zapata family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Zapata family history?The origins the old family name Zapata can be found within medieval Spain. While the patronymic and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the name of the father and mother respectively, are the most common form of a hereditary surname in Spain, occupational surnames also emerged during the late Middle Ages. Spanish names were influenced by the Germanic speaking Visigoths, who conquered Spain from the mid-5th to 8th centuries, and the Arabic and Muslim Moors who conquered the Spanish homeland from the 8th to 12th centuries. Since Spain was periodically dominated by both of these nations in its past, it shared much in common with both the Visigoths and the Muslims in the occupations they described.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Zapata, Zapato, Zapatero, Zapatera, Sabato, Sabata and many more.
First found in Castile, whose language and culture would be carried to many countries of the world.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Zapata research. Another 388 words(28 lines of text) covering the year 1217 is included under the topic Early Zapata History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 67 words(5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Zapata Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Miguel Zapata came to the Americas in 1512 with his son and one servant
- Marcucio Zapata sailed to Peru in 1534
- Juan Zapata de Cárdenas sailed to Peru in 1535
- Juan Zapata, who sailed to New Spain in 1580
Zapata Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Miguel Zapata, who arrived in America in 1812
- Marcucio Zapata, who landed in Peru in 1834
- Juan Zapata, who arrived in New Spain in 1880
- Mateo Zapata, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1880
- Feliciano Zapata, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1889
- Ariel F Zapata, American producer, reporter and newswriter
- Carlos Eduardo Zapata, American architect and professor
- Carmen Margarita Zapata, American artist and producer
- Mia Zapata (1965-1993), American rock lead singer for The Gits, lyricist and painter
- Marcos Zapata, Spanish poet and playwright
- Julio María Zapata y Rodríguez, Spanish architect
- Emiliano Zapata (1879-1919), leader, and hero, of the agrarian revolt during the Mexican Revolution
- Fausto Zapata Loredo (1940-2014), Mexican lawyer, politician, diplomat, journalist and television presenter, Governor of San Luis Potosí in 1991
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Zapata Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Zapata Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 23 December 2014 at 08:27.
on orders of $85 or more