on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Yount family come from? What is the English Yount family crest and coat of arms? When did the Yount family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Yount family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yount, Yvount, Yvounet, Yound and others.
First found in Middlesex where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held lands.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yount research. Another 256 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Yount History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Yount Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yount Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Yount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- John P. Yount (1850-1872), American soldier in the U.S. Army who served with the 3rd U.S. Cavalry during the Apache Wars against Cochise, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Henry S. Yount (1839-1924), nicknamed "Rocky Mountain Harry Yount," an American Civil War soldier, mountain man, professional hunter and trapper, the first gamekeeper (ranger) in Yellowstone National Park, eponym of Younts Peak
- George Calvert Yount (1794-1865), American trapper in William Wolfskill's party who went to California in 1831 and became the first Euro-American permanent settler in the Napa Valley
- Floyd Edwin Yount (1915-1973), American Major League Baseball player who played two seasons (1937 to 1939)
- Christian Alexander Yount (b. 1988), American football long snapper who has played since 2011
- Miles Franklin Yount (1880-1933), nicknamed the "Godfather of Beaumont," an American oil baron who formed the Yount-Lee Oil Company on December 22, 1914; his estate was worth 46.2 million upon his death, the third largest financial transaction in the United States to that point
- Robin R. Yount (b. 1955), nicknamed,"The Kid", and "Rockin' Robin," American Major League Baseball player who played shortstop for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1974 to 1993, inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999
- Larry Yount (b. 1950), American Major League Baseball player who played from the Houston Astros in 1971, younger brother of Robin Yount
- Herbert Macon "Ducky" Yount (1885-1970), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played one season for the Baltimore Terrapins in 1914
- Barton Kyle Yount (1884-1949), United States Army Lieutenant General
- A Brief Sketch of the Origin of the Yount Family in America by William Calvin Yount.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
The Yount Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yount Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 14:58.
on orders of $85 or more