100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Yount was first found in Middlesex where they held a family seat
as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the 13th century when they held lands.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Yount, Yvount, Yvounet, Yound and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Yount research. Another 256 words (18 lines of text) covering the years 1455 and 1487 are included under the topic Early Yount History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Yount Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Yount Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Yount, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1851
- John P. Yount (1850-1872), American soldier in the U.S. Army who served with the 3rd U.S. Cavalry during the Apache Wars against Cochise, recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Henry S. Yount (1839-1924), nicknamed "Rocky Mountain Harry Yount," an American Civil War soldier, mountain man, professional hunter and trapper, the first gamekeeper (ranger) in Yellowstone National Park, eponym of Younts Peak
- George Calvert Yount (1794-1865), American trapper in William Wolfskill's party who went to California in 1831 and became the first Euro-American permanent settler in the Napa Valley
- Floyd Edwin Yount (1915-1973), American Major League Baseball player who played two seasons (1937 to 1939)
- Christian Alexander Yount (b. 1988), American football long snapper who has played since 2011
- Miles Franklin Yount (1880-1933), nicknamed the "Godfather of Beaumont," an American oil baron who formed the Yount-Lee Oil Company on December 22, 1914; his estate was worth 46.2 million upon his death, the third largest financial transaction in the United States to that point
- Robin R. Yount (b. 1955), nicknamed,"The Kid", and "Rockin' Robin," American Major League Baseball player who played shortstop for the Milwaukee Brewers from 1974 to 1993, inducted into the National Baseball Hall of Fame in 1999
- Larry Yount (b. 1950), American Major League Baseball player who played from the Houston Astros in 1971, younger brother of Robin Yount
- Herbert Macon "Ducky" Yount (1885-1970), American Major League Baseball pitcher who played one season for the Baltimore Terrapins in 1914
- Barton Kyle Yount (1884-1949), United States Army Lieutenant General
- A Brief Sketch of the Origin of the Yount Family in America by William Calvin Yount.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
The Yount Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Yount Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 November 2015 at 14:58.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!