100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wrigglesworth, Wriglesworth, Wigglesworth, Rigglesworth, Wrikesworth, Ricksworth, Riglesworth, Rigglesford, Wrigglesforth, Rigglesforth, Wrigglesford, Wigglesworth and many more.
First found in North Yorkshire at Wigglesworth, a township, in the parish of Long Preston, union of Settle, wapentake of Staincliffe.  The place dates back to the Domesday Book of 1086 where it was first listed as Winchelesuuorde  and was held by Roger le Poitevin, a Norman Baron. Literally the place name means "enclosure of a man called Wincel," from the Old English personal name + "worth."  The progenitor of the American family is thought to have been Edward Wigglesworth, born 1603 in Scotton, Lincolnshire, father of Michael Wigglesworth (1631-1705), the Puritan minister and poet. The family moved to New England in 1638 when Michael was 7 years old.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wrigglesworth research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1631, 1705, 1638, 1693 and 1765 are included under the topic Early Wrigglesworth History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 113 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wrigglesworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Wrigglesworth family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wrigglesworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Wrigglesworth, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Knottingley, England, in 1909
- Olive Wrigglesworth, aged 0, who settled in America from Knottingley, England, in 1909
- Ethel Wrigglesworth, aged 24, who emigrated to America from Harrowgate, England, in 1911
- Jane Elizabeth Wrigglesworth, aged 38, who landed in America from Hull, England, in 1915
- Florence Wrigglesworth, aged 20, who landed in America from Croydon, England, in 1919
Wrigglesworth Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Fred Wrigglesworth, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Wrigglesworth Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Wrigglesworth, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Wrigglesworth arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Bronte" in 1849
- Tom Wrigglesworth, English stand-up comedian from Yorkshire
- Sir Ian William Wrigglesworth (b. 1939), English politician, Treasurer of the Liberal Democrats
- William Herbert "Billy" Wrigglesworth (1912-1980), English footballer
- Susan Wrigglesworth (1954-1996), British fencer who competed at the 1972, 1976 and 1980 Summer Olympics
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
The Wrigglesworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wrigglesworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 August 2015 at 08:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!