100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Wrigglesworth was first found in North Yorkshire
at Wigglesworth, a township, in the parish of Long Preston, union of Settle, wapentake
of Staincliffe. 
The place dates back to the Domesday Book
of 1086 where it was first listed as Winchelesuuorde 
and was held by Roger le Poitevin, a Norman Baron
. Literally the place name means "enclosure of a man called Wincel," from the Old English personal name + "worth." 
The progenitor of the American family is thought to have been Edward Wigglesworth, born 1603 in Scotton, Lincolnshire
, father of Michael Wigglesworth (1631-1705), the Puritan minister and poet. The family moved to New England
in 1638 when Michael was 7 years old.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wrigglesworth, Wriglesworth, Wigglesworth, Rigglesworth, Wrikesworth, Ricksworth, Riglesworth, Rigglesford, Wrigglesforth, Rigglesforth, Wrigglesford, Wigglesworth and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wrigglesworth research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1631, 1705, 1638, 1693 and 1765 are included under the topic Early Wrigglesworth History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 113 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wrigglesworth Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the Wrigglesworth family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 93 words (7 lines of text) about their life in Ireland
is included in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wrigglesworth Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Henry Wrigglesworth, aged 28, who emigrated to the United States from Knottingley, England, in 1909
- Olive Wrigglesworth, aged 0, who settled in America from Knottingley, England, in 1909
- Ethel Wrigglesworth, aged 24, who emigrated to America from Harrowgate, England, in 1911
- Jane Elizabeth Wrigglesworth, aged 38, who landed in America from Hull, England, in 1915
- Florence Wrigglesworth, aged 20, who landed in America from Croydon, England, in 1919
Wrigglesworth Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Fred Wrigglesworth, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Wrigglesworth Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Elizabeth Wrigglesworth, English convict from London, who was transported aboard the "Angelina" on April 25, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Wrigglesworth arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Duke Of Bronte" in 1849
- Tom Wrigglesworth, English stand-up comedian from Yorkshire
- Sir Ian William Wrigglesworth (b. 1939), English politician, Treasurer of the Liberal Democrats
- William Herbert "Billy" Wrigglesworth (1912-1980), English footballer
- Susan Wrigglesworth (1954-1996), British fencer who competed at the 1972, 1976 and 1980 Summer Olympics
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
The Wrigglesworth Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wrigglesworth Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 August 2015 at 08:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!