Worsdale History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Worsdale family
The surname Worsdale was first found in Lancashire where "this surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'of Wyresdale,' a manor in the parish of Garstang, North Lancashire, situated on the river Wyre; also the valley itself, which is still beautifully wooded." 
Here we find the first record of the family, that of John de Wiresdale who was listed in the Subsidy Rolls of 1332. 
Just east of Lancashire in Yorkshire, Johannes de Wyresdale and William de Wiresdall were listed there in the Yorkshire Polls Tax Rolls of 1379. 
Early History of the Worsdale family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Worsdale research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1455, 1487, 1692, 1767, 1692, 1753 and 1767 are included under the topic Early Worsdale History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Worsdale Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Worsdale, Worsdall, Worsdell, Wirsedale, Orisdale, Orysdale and many more.
Early Notables of the Worsdale family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include James Worsdale (1692?-1767), English portrait-painter, born about 1692, the son of a poor colour-grinder "He was engaged as a servant to Sir Godfrey Kneller, and subsequently became his apprentice, but was dismissed for surreptitiously marrying Lady Kneller's niece. In later times he claimed to be a natural son of Sir Godfrey. Though possessed of little artistic ability, Worsdale obtained a considerable amount of patronage as a portrait-painter, and was appointed master-painter to the board of ordnance, his success being due mainly to his amusing conversation and clever singing and acting. His portraits of Princess Louisa...
Migration of the Worsdale family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: William Worsdell, who arrived in Buffalo, NY in 1842; as well as Joseph Worsdell, who was naturalized in Philadelphia in 1868.