Wolmarans History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Wolmarans family
The surname Wolmarans was first found in Hampshire at Woolmer, between Liphook and Bordon. The surrounding Woolmer (Wolmer) Forest, is a Royal forest. Woolmer Green is a small village and civil parish in Hertfordshire.
"The surname is more probably from the Anglo-Saxon personal name Wulmer." 
The earliest record of the family was found at the time of the Domesday Book of 1086 when Wlmer, Vlfmer, Wlmer were all listed at that time  A few years later, Ulmer Aeltredes was listed in Suffolk c. 1095.  This latter source also notes that the name could have been derived "from a lost Wolmoor in Ormskirk, Lancashire 'wolves moor'. "  But he also concurs that the aforementioned Woolmer Forest origin may be a possibility. Woolmore Fram in Melksham, Wiltshire was derived from "wolves' pool."
Early History of the Wolmarans family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wolmarans research. Another 172 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1246, 1097, 1246, 1537, 1478, 1510, 1512, 1632, 1692, 1655, 1718, 1685, 1755, 1720 and 1772 are included under the topic Early Wolmarans History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wolmarans Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wolmer, Woolmer, Wollmore, Woolman, Ullmer, Ulmer, Wollmer, Wulmar, Wulmare, Wilmore, Wilmer, Wilmere, Wulmere, Woolmore, Woolmore, Wollmor and many more.
Early Notables of the Wolmarans family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Richard Wolman or Woleman (d. 1537), English divine, Dean of Wells, presumed to have been the son of Richard Wolman, cater to John Howard, duke of Norfolk. "There was a family of the name at Alderford, Norfolk. In 1478 Richard Wolman was a member of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge. He also studied abroad, being entered in the...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wolmarans Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In South Africa, the name Wolmarans is the 904th most popular surname with an estimated 7,725 people with that name. 
Wolmarans migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wolmarans Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- A. D. W. Wolmarans, aged 61, originally from Pratoria, S. Africa, arrived in New York in 1919 aboard the ship "Bawean" from Cape Town, South Africa 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wolmarans (post 1700) +
- Fritz Wolmarans (b. 1986), South African tennis player
- Nicolaas "Nick" Wolmarans (b. 1916), South African boxer
Related Stories +
- ^ Lower, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ https://forebears.io/south-africa/surnames
- ^ "New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6Q1-GWL : 6 December 2014), A. D. W.. Wolmarans, 01 Apr 1919; citing departure port Cape Town, South Africa, arrival port New York, ship name Bawean, NARA microfilm publication T715 and M237 (Washington D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.).