Witzel History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Witzel family
The surname Witzel was first found in Silesia and Bohemia, where the name could be considered to make a major contribution to the feudal society that shaped the early development of Europe. The name became prominent in local affairs and branched into many houses, playing important roles in the savage tribal and national conflicts, as each group strove for power and status in an unstable territorial profile. chronicles first mention the Lord Weczel von Schellendorf from Liegnitz in Silesia around 1424, and Hans Weczold of Freiberg in Saxony near the border with Bohemia in 1447.
Early History of the Witzel family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Witzel research. Another 170 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1662 and 1689 are included under the topic Early Witzel History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Witzel Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wetzel, Wetzlaw (Silesia), Weczel ( Silesia, Bohemia), Wetzold, Weczold, Wetzler, Wetzal, Wetzell, Wetzlar, Wetz and many more.
Early Notables of the Witzel family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Witzel Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Witzel is the 11,605th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Witzel migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Witzel Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christoph Witzel, who landed in America in 1780 
Witzel Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Henry Witzel, who arrived in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1834 
- John Witzel, who landed in Somerset County, Pennsylvania in 1839 
- Adam Witzel, who arrived in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1876 
Contemporary Notables of the name Witzel (post 1700) +
- Kurt Witzel, American Republican politician, Presidential Elector for Missouri, 2012
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)