Wittmer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Wittmer family
The surname Wittmer was first found in Staffordshire where Whitmore is a parish in the union Newcastle-under-Lyme in the hundred of Pirehill and dates back to the Domesday Book  where it was listed as Witemore.
The name was derived from the Old English words hwit + mor which collectively mean "white moor or marsh" 
The parish has remained rather small in population as in 1873 it listed only 367 inhabitants. Whitmore Hall, is still standing today and was held by the Whitmore family until the 16th century when Alice Boghay, a Whitmore heiress married Edward Mainwaring of Biddulph. From then on, it passed to the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family who still hold the hall as a private residence today. It is important to now note the younger Shropshire branch of the family.
"This is a younger branch of an ancient family formerly seated at Whittimere or Whitmore, in the parish of Claverley, where it is traced to the reign of Henry III. " 
Early History of the Wittmer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wittmer research. Another 112 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1620, 1572, 1648, 1620, 1593, 1612, 1653, 1640, 1637, 1699, 1661, 1599, 1677, 1659, 1677, 1666, 1695, 1654 and 1593 are included under the topic Early Wittmer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wittmer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitmore, Whitmer, Whytemere, Whitemore, Whittimere, Whittimore and many more.
Early Notables of the Wittmer family (pre 1700)
Distinguished members of the family include Sir William Whitmore (1572-1648), an English landowner and politician, Sheriff of Shropshire in 1620, he inherited Apley Hall, Shropshire on the death of his father in 1593; Sir Thomas Whitmore, 1st Baronet (1612-1653), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth in 1640; Sir William Whitmore, 2nd Baronet (1637-1699), an English politician, Member of Parliament for Bridgnorth in...
Another 64 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wittmer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Wittmer is the 17,916th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Migration of the Wittmer family to Ireland
Some of the Wittmer family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wittmer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wittmer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christopher Wittmer, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1727 
- Hans Wittmer, who landed in America in 1731 
- Peter Wittmer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1744 
- Joh Christian Wittmer, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- Johan Jacob Wittmer, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Wittmer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Bohlke Wittmer, who arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1854 
- Henry L Wittmer, who arrived in Savanna(h), Georgia in 1860 
- Kaspar Wittmer, who arrived in Texas in 1866 
- Jake Wittmer, who landed in Allegany (Allegheny) County, Pennsylvania in 1870 
Contemporary Notables of the name Wittmer (post 1700) +
- Jessica C. Wittmer, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Colorado, 2008
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)