Witting History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Witting name is thought to patronymic surname, created from the Old English personal name "Hwit," meaning "the white one."
Early Origins of the Witting family
The surname Witting was first found in various counties. Early recorded instances of the name include Roger Witenc, listed 1084 in the Geld Roll (part of the Domesday Book) for Somerset in 1084; Simundus filius Witing, recorded in Danelaw Documents, as being in Lincolnshire in 1150; William Whiting, listed in 1194 in the Curia Regis Rolls for Berkshire; and William Whiting listed in the Pipe Rolls of Buckinghamshire in 1197. 
A Giffard Whiting held a fee in the parish Catcott, Somerset in c. 1198. Several of the name were listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Gerin Wyting in Bedfordshire; Felicia Wyting in Cambridgeshre; John Witting in Oxfordshire, Adelina Wyting in Huntingtonshire; and Thomas de Wytin in Nottinghamshire. 
Early History of the Witting family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Witting research. Another 75 words (5 lines of text) covering the years 1381, 1400, 1428, 1649, 1633, 1713, 1539, 1656 and 1722 are included under the topic Early Witting History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Witting Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiting, Witing and others.
Early Notables of the Witting family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include John Whiting Clerk, who was made the Rectory of Greenstead, near the town of Colchester, Essex, in 1649; and The Reverend Samuel Whiting, Jr. (1633-1713), the first minister...
Another 36 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Witting Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Witting migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Witting Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Christoph Witting, who landed in America in 1777 
Witting Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Georg Witting, who arrived in Texas in 1846 
Contemporary Notables of the name Witting (post 1700) +
- C. C. A. Witting, American politician, Mayor of Canton, Ohio, 1846-47, 1848-49
Related Stories +
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)