on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Witham was first found in Lincolnshire
at North Witham, a small village in South Kesteven. However, Witham is also a town in the county of Essex
. The parish of Witham appears in the Domesday Book
of 1086 and the manor of Witham was given to the Knights Templar in 1148. Witham Friary is a small village and civil parish located in Somerset.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Witham, Withem, Wittam, Witam, Withum, Wittum, Whittam, Whitham, Whittum, Whittem, Wytham, Wyttam, Wyttum, Wythum, Withams, Wittams and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Witham research. Another 279 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1300, 1538, 1707, 1473, 1454, 1458, 1460, 1467, 1473, 1420, 1489, 1624, 1604, 1668, 1654 and 1659 are included under the topic Early Witham History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 209 words (15 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Witham Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Witham Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Peter Witham who settled in Boston, Massachusetts in 1630
- John Witham, who landed in Maryland in 1651
- Cuthbert Witham, who arrived in Virginia in 1665
Witham Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Witham settled in Maryland in 1730
- Conrad Witham, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1770
Witham Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Joseph Witham, aged 23, arrived in New York in 1812
- Miss Witham settled in Boston in 1823
- George and Joshua Witham arrived in Pennsylvania in 1855
Witham Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- Sara Witham, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1818
Witham Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Harriet Witham arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Tory" in 1851
- Drake Witham (b. 1972), American Los Angeles based stand-up comedian
- Myron E. Witham (1880-1973), American football player and coach
- Susan Witham, American Democrat politician, Candidate in primary for Michigan State House of Representatives 93rd District, 1978
- Samuel R. Witham, American politician, Representative from Pennsylvania 7th District, 1926
- Mrs. Robert C. Witham, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Virginia, 1972
- Jason G. Witham, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Quincy, Massachusetts, 1889
- Alphonso N. Witham, American politician, Prohibition Candidate for U.S. Representative from Maine 1st District, 1908
- A. Ray Witham, American politician, Mayor of Alhambra, California, 1950-51
- Henry T M Witham (1779-1844), the first English person to investigate the internal structure of fossil plants, Fellow of the Geological Society of London and of the Royal and Wernerian Societies of Edinburgh
- Richard "Dick" Witham (1915-1999), English professional footballer
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. Motto:
Optime merentiMotto Translation:
To the best deserving.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
The Witham Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Witham Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 4 February 2016 at 09:22.
on orders of $85 or more