village and civil parish within Uttlesford that dates back to c. 1040 when it was listed as Winebisc and Wimbisc. By the time of the
of 1086, the village was known and listed as Wimbeis and possibly meant "bushy copse of a man called Wine," from the Old English
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wimbish research.Another 106 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1510, 1600 and 1190 are included under the topic Early Wimbish History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
of this family name include: Wimbishe, Wymbishe, Wimbyshe, Wymbyshe, Wimbush, Wimbish, Winbush, Winbisse, Winbiss, Wimbis and many more.
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: the name represented in many forms and recorded from the mid 17th century in the great migration from Europe. Migrants settled in the eastern seaboard from Newfoundland, to Maine, to Virginia, the Carolinas, and to the islands..