Early Origins of the Wilmore family
The surname Wilmore was first found in Hampshire
at Woolmer, between Liphook and Bordon. The surrounding Woolmer (Wolmer) Forest, is a Royal forest. Woolmer Green is a small village and civil parish in Hertfordshire.
"The surname is more probably from the Anglo-Saxon personal name Wulmer." CITATION[CLOSE]
Lowe, Mark Anthony, Patronymica Britannica, A Dictionary of Family Names of the United Kingdom. London: John Russel Smith, 1860. Print.
The earliest record of the family was found at the time of the Domesday Book of 1086 when Wlmer, Vlfmer, Wlmer were all listed at that time CITATION[CLOSE]
Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8) A few years later, Ulmer Aeltredes was listed in Suffolk c. 1095. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X) This latter source also notes that the name could have been derived "from a lost Wolmoor in Ormskirk, Lancashire 'wolves moor'. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X) But he also concurs that the aforementioned Woolmer Forest origin may be a possibility. Woolmore Fram in Melksham, Wiltshire was derived from "wolves' pool."
Early History of the Wilmore family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wilmore research.Another 288 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1246, 1097, 1246, 1632, 1692, 1655, 1718, 1685, 1755, 1720 and 1772 are included under the topic Early Wilmore History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wilmore Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Wolmer, Woolmer, Wollmore, Woolman, Ullmer, Ulmer, Wollmer, Wulmar, Wulmare, Wilmore, Wilmer, Wilmere, Wulmere, Woolmore, Woolmore, Wollmor and many more.
Early Notables of the Wilmore family (pre 1700)
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wilmore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wilmore family to Ireland
Some of the Wilmore family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 74 words (5 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Wilmore family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wilmore Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Joseph Wilmore, who landed in Wellington, New Zealand in 1841
- Joseph Wilmore, aged 30, a shepherd, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
- Jane Wilmore, aged 23, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Catherine Stewart Forbes" in 1841
Contemporary Notables of the name Wilmore (post 1700)
- Gayraud Stephen Wilmore (b. 1921), American writer, historian, ethicist, educator, and theologian, known for his contributions to black theology
- Marc Wilmore, American television writer, producer, actor, comedian, writer and producer for The Simpsons
- Larry Wilmore (b. 1961), American Peabody Award, Emmy Award and Humanitas Prize winning writer, actor and television producer, best known for his work on The Bernie Mac Show
- Barry Eugene "Butch" Wilmore (b. 1962), NASA Astronaut with over 259 hours in space CITATION[CLOSE]
NASA Astronauts Homepage. (Retrieved 2010, September 27) Barry Wilmore. Retrieved from http://www.jsc.nasa.gov/Bios/htmlbios/wilmore-be.html