on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Wiggs family come from? What is the English Wiggs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wiggs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wiggs family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wigston, Wigeton, Wiggeton, Wiggstone, Wigstone, Wigton, Wixton, Wickston, Wigginton, Wiggington, Wiginton, Wigginton, Wiginston, Wigingston and many more.
First found in Leicestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, at Lennerlyde.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiggs research. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1404 and 1548 are included under the topic Early Wiggs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiggs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wiggs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Wiggs, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Wiggs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Wiggs, who landed in Virginia in 1725
- Carson Michael Wiggs (b. 1990), American NFL football placekicker for the Seattle Seahawks
- Johnny Wiggs (1899-1977), born John Wigginton Hyman, American jazz musician and band leader from New Orleans, Louisiana, mentor to Pete Fountain
- James Alvin "Jimmy" Wiggs (1876-1963), nicknamed "Big Jim," American Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher, active (1903 to 1906)
- Hubert Thomas Wiggs (b. 1893), American professional football player and coach, active (1922 to 1923)
- Peter Stewart "Pete" Wiggs (b. 1966), English musician and DJ from Reigate, Surrey
- Josephine Miranda Cordelia Susan Wiggs (b. 1965), English indie/alternative rock musician
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
The Wiggs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wiggs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 July 2013 at 08:51.
on orders of $85 or more