on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Wiggs family come from? What is the English Wiggs family crest and coat of arms? When did the Wiggs family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Wiggs family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wigston, Wigeton, Wiggeton, Wiggstone, Wigstone, Wigton, Wixton, Wickston, Wigginton, Wiggington, Wiginton, Wigginton, Wiginston, Wigingston and many more.
First found in Leicestershire where they held a family seat from very ancient times, at Lennerlyde.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wiggs research. Another 161 words(12 lines of text) covering the years 1404 and 1548 are included under the topic Early Wiggs History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 21 words(2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wiggs Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wiggs Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Eliza Wiggs, who arrived in Virginia in 1652
Wiggs Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Henry Wiggs, who landed in Virginia in 1725
- Carson Michael Wiggs (b. 1990), American NFL football placekicker for the Seattle Seahawks
- Johnny Wiggs (1899-1977), born John Wigginton Hyman, American jazz musician and band leader from New Orleans, Louisiana, mentor to Pete Fountain
- James Alvin "Jimmy" Wiggs (1876-1963), nicknamed "Big Jim," American Major League Baseball right-handed pitcher, active (1903 to 1906)
- Hubert Thomas Wiggs (b. 1893), American professional football player and coach, active (1922 to 1923)
- Peter Stewart "Pete" Wiggs (b. 1966), English musician and DJ from Reigate, Surrey
- Josephine Miranda Cordelia Susan Wiggs (b. 1965), English indie/alternative rock musician
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Wiggs Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Wiggs Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 July 2013 at 08:51.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more