on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Whitmore family come from? What is the English Whitmore family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whitmore family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whitmore family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whitmore, Whitmer, Whytemere, Whitemore, Whittimere, Whittimore and many more.
First found in Staffordshire where Whitmore is a parish in the union Newcastle-under-Lyme in the hundred of Pirehill and dates back to the Domesday Book  where it was listed as Witemore. The name was derived from the Old English words hwit + mor which collectively mean "white moor or marsh"  The parish has remained rather small in population as in 1873 it listed only 367 inhabitants. Whitmore Hall, is still standing today and was held by the Whitmore family until the 16th century when Alice Boghay, a Whitmore heiress married Edward Mainwaring of Biddulph. From then on, it passed to the Cavenagh-Mainwaring family who still hold the hall as a private residence today. It is important to now note the younger Shropshire branch of the family. "This is a younger branch of an ancient family formerly seated at Whittimere or Whitmore, in the parish of Claverley, where it is traced to the reign of Henry III. " 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whitmore research. Another 223 words (16 lines of text) covering the years 1620, 1572, 1648, 1620, 1593, 1612, 1653, 1640, 1637, 1699, 1661, 1599, 1677, 1659, 1677, 1666 and 1695 are included under the topic Early Whitmore History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 197 words (14 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whitmore Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Whitmore family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 35 words (2 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whitmore Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Robert Whitmore settled in Virginia in 1623
- Robert Whitmore, who landed in Jamestown, Va in 1624
- John Whitmore, who landed in Connecticut in 1630
- Alec Whitmore who settled in St. Christopher in 1634
- Thomas Whitmore, who arrived in Virginia in 1636
Whitmore Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- James Whitmore, who arrived in Virginia in 1714
- Jacob Whitmore, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1760
- Christian Whitmore, who landed in Frederick County, Maryland in 1767
Whitmore Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Charles Whitmore, who arrived in Mobile, Ala in 1822
Whitmore Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Benjamin Whitmore arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- Ann Whitmore arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- Samuel Whitmore arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- Mary Whitmore arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
- William Whitmore arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Lysander" in 1839
Whitmore Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Sarah Ann Whitmore, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Stately" in 1851
- Samuel T. Whitmore arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Mermaid" in 1859
- John Whitmore, aged 44, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Elizabeth Whitmore, aged 43, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- Thomas Whitmore, aged 9, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Rodney" in 1875
- William Elliott Whitmore (b. 1978), American blues vocalist and musician
- James Allen Whitmore III (b. 1948), American actor, son of James Whitmore
- Tamika Whitmore (b. 1977), American professional WNBA basketball player
- James Whitmore (1921-2009), American actor, nominated for two Oscars and winner of Emmy, Tony and Golden Globe awards
- Mr. George Whitmore, English Fireman from England, who worked aboard the RMS Lusitania and survived the sinking
- Henry Whitmore (1813-1876), English Conservative politician, Member of the House of Commons (1852 to 1870)
- Alfred Whitmore (1876-1946), English pathologist co-identified Burkholderia pseudomallei, also known as Whitmore's disease
- Laura Whitmore (b. 1985), Irish television presenter for MTV Europe
- Kay Whitmore (b. 1967), former Canadian NHL ice hockey goaltender
- Theodore Whitmore (b. 1972), Jamaican football midfielder
- Wetmore History and Some Maternal Lines by Kathryn Lee Wetmore.
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Shirley, Evelyn Philip, The Noble and Gentle Men of England; The Arms and Descents. Westminster: John Bower Nichols and Sons, 1866, Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
The Whitmore Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whitmore Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 31 October 2015 at 02:56.
on orders of $85 or more