100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Whiting family come from? What is the English Whiting family crest and coat of arms? When did the Whiting family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Whiting family history?The Whiting name is thought to patronymic surname, created from the Old English personal name "Hwit," meaning "the white one."
Spelling variations of this family name include: Whiting, Witing and others.
First found in various counties. Early recorded instances of the name include Roger Witenc, listed 1084 in the Geld Roll (part of the Domesday Book) for Somerset in 1084; Simundus filius Witing, recorded in Danelaw Documents, as being in Lincolnshire in 1150; William Whiting, listed in 1194 in the Curia Regis Rolls for Berkshire; and William Whiting listed in the Pipe Rolls of Buckinghamshire in 1197.  A Giffard Whiting held a fee in the parish Catcott, Somerset in c. 1198. Several of the name were listed in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273: Gerin Wyting in Bedfordshire; Felicia Wyting in Cambridgeshre; John Witting in Oxfordshire, Adelina Wyting in Huntingtonshire; and Thomas de Wytin in Nottinghamshire. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Whiting research. Another 149 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1381, 1400, 1428, 1649, 1633 and 1713 are included under the topic Early Whiting History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 61 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Whiting Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Whiting Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Nathaniel Whiting, who arrived in Boston Massachusetts in 1631
- William Whiting, who landed in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1633
- Rebecca Whiting, who landed in Virginia in 1634
- Nathaniel Whiting, who landed in Dedham, Massachusetts in 1635
- Richard Whiting, who came to Virginia in 1635
Whiting Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Leonard Whiting, who arrived in Georgia in 1735
Whiting Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Whiting, who arrived in Charleston, South Carolina in 1807
- Henry M Whiting, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1849
Whiting Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- William Whiting, who settled in Newfoundland in 1706
Whiting Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Wolf Whiting, who landed in Canada in 1833
Whiting Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Richard Whiting, English convict from Surrey, who was transported aboard the "Andromeda" on November 13, 1832, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Jacob Whiting, English convict from Wiltshire, who was transported aboard the "Agincourt" on July 6, 1844, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- Richard Whiting arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Forfarshire" in 1848
- George Whiting arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "John Munn" in 1849
- Henry Whiting arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Stebonheath" in 1849
Whiting Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Robert Whiting arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Owen Glendowner" in 1864
- David Whiting, aged 30, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1875
- Caroline Whiting, aged 25, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1875
- Sarah C. Whiting, aged 7, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1875
- Frank Whiting, aged 4, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Halcione" in 1875
- Ryan Keith Whiting (b. 1986), American four-time gold medalist shot putter
- Richard A. Whiting (1891-1938), American composer
- Margaret Whiting (b. 1924), American pop music singer
- Norman Harry Whiting (1920-2014), English cricketer who played 59 first-class matches for Worcestershire in the late 1940s and early 1950s
- John Whiting (1917-1963), English playwright
- William Whiting, English writer and hymnist, best known for his 1860 hymn "Eternal Father, Strong to Save"
- Dr. Cliff Whiting (b. 1936), New Zealand Maori artist, heritage advocate and teacher
- William Fairfield Whiting (1864-1936), United States Secretary of Commerce 1928 to 1929
- Charlie Whiting, FIA Formula One Race Director
- Genealogy of Evans, Nivin, and Allied Families by Septimus Evans Nivin.
- Genealogy of the William Whiting Family, 1724-1936 by Gregory C. Schwartz.
- ^ Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
The Whiting Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Whiting Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 8 October 2015 at 15:09.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!