The Weninger surname is thought to have originally been a nickname
which became a surname. It derives from the Middle High German word "wenic," which means small or weak.
Early Origins of the Weninger family
The surname Weninger was first found in Bavaria
, where the name Wening was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. Bearers of the name were also found in Silesia
Early History of the Weninger family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weninger research.Another 203 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1354, 1453, 1601, 1787, and 1792 are included under the topic Early Weninger History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weninger Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Wening, Weniger, Wenin, Wenig, Wenisch, Wenk, Weining, Wiening, Weuning, Wauning and many more.
Early Notables of the Weninger family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Weninger Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Weninger family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Weninger Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Michael Weninger, aged 29, who landed in America from Gr. Brtholz, Austria, in 1906
- Martin Weninger, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Berndorf, Hungary, in 1907
- Josef Weninger, aged 17, who settled in America from Lam, Germany, in 1910
- Leopold Weninger, aged 30, who settled in America from Wienpassing, Austria, in 1911
- Wilhelm Weninger, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States from Munchen, Germany, in 1911
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Weninger (post 1700)
- Francis Xavier Weninger (1805-1888), Austrian Jesuit missionary and author
- Josef Weninger (1886-1959), Austrian anthropologist, professor at Vienna University