Weise History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The surname Weise is a Bavarian nickname surname. German nicknames came from eke-names, or added names, and tended to describe a physical characteristic or other attribute of their initial bearer. Weise is a name for a person who had a pale complexion or fair colored hair. The surname Weise was derived from the German word weises, which meant white.
Early Origins of the Weise family
The surname Weise was first found in Bavaria, where the name gained a significant reputation for its contribution to the emerging mediaeval society. It later became more prominent as many branches of the same house acquired distant estates and branches, some in foreign countries, always elevating their social status by their great contributions to society. Chronicles first mention Nicolaus Weiser of Iglau in Bohemia in 1378.
Early History of the Weise family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Weise research. Another 180 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1867, 1830, 1852, 1840, 1844, 1798, 1841, 1842, 1642, 1708, 1810 and 1867 are included under the topic Early Weise History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weise Spelling Variations
In the medieval era, many different cultural groups lived in the German states. There are thus many regional variations of German surnames from that era. Westphalians spoke Low German, which is similar to modern Dutch. Many German names carry suffixes that identify where they came from. Others have phrases attached that identify something about the original bearer. Other variations in German names resulted from the fact that medieval scribes worked without the aid of any spelling rules. The spelling variations of the name Weise include Weise, Weis, Weiser, Wise and others.
Early Notables of the Weise family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the name Weise in this period include Christian Weise (1642-1708), who was a renowned German author of moral tragedies, poetry, and comedies; and Baron Carl Gottlieb Weis (b.1810), departmental head at the Austrian...
Another 37 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Weise Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Weise migration to the United States +
The great European flow of migration to North America, which began in the middle of the 17th century and continued into the 20th century, was particularly attractive to those from Bavaria who wished to escape either poverty or religious persecution. For many Bavarian tenant farmers, the chance to own their own land was a major incentive. So the widespread colonization of the United States began in 1650, when many immigrants from Germany settled in pockets in Pennsylvania, Texas, New York, Illinois, and California. In Canada, German settlement centered in Ontario and the prairie provinces. Among those of this surname listed in various historical records were:
Weise Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Hans Jacob Weise, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1749 
- Johan Michael Weise, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1754 
- Johan Michael Weise, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1755
Weise Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Johann Christ Weise, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1800 
- Godfrey Weise, who landed in Maryland in 1819 
- Frederick Weise, who landed in Maryland in 1827 
- Georg Weise, aged 27, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- Emilie Weise, aged 23, who arrived in New York, NY in 1847 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Weise (post 1700) +
- Wolfgang Weise (b. 1949), German silver medalist volleyball player at the 1972 Summer Olympics
- Hubert Weise (1884-1950), German Generaloberst in the Luftwaffe during World War II, recipient of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross
- Markus Weise (b. 1962), German field hockey coach
- Konrad Weise (b. 1951), German football player
- Julius Weise (1844-1925), German entomologist
- Dale Weise (b. 1988), Canadian professional ice hockey player
Historic Events for the Weise family +
- Rolf Weise (1922-1941), German Matrosengefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
- Paul Weise (1920-1941), German Matrosengefreiter who served aboard the German Battleship Bismarck during World War II when it was sunk heading to France; he died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Bismarck & Tirpitz Class - Crew List Bismarck. (Retrieved 2018, February 06). Retrieved from https://www.bismarck-class.dk/bismarck/crew/bismarck_crew.html#crew_details