Walthall History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Walthall family
The surname Walthall was first found in Westmorland where they held a family seat. Little is known of the early history of the family until they migrated south to Cheshire in the vicinity of Chester. Thomas Walthall, the first in Cheshire, was directly descended from the Westmorland family. He married Margeret, the daughter of Sir William Stanley of Hooton.
Early History of the Walthall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Walthall research. Another 118 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1676, 1715 and 1802 are included under the topic Early Walthall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Walthall Spelling Variations
Spelling variations in names were a common occurrence before English spelling was standardized a few hundred years ago. In the Middle Ages, even the literate spelled their names differently as the English language incorporated elements of French, Latin, and other European languages. Many variations of the name Walthall have been found, including Wattall, Whaltall, Whalthall, Waltall, Walthal and many more.
Early Notables of the Walthall family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Walthall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Walthall is the 14,444th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
| Walthall migration to the United States ||+|
Families began migrating abroad in enormous numbers because of the political and religious discontent in England. Often faced with persecution and starvation in England, the possibilities of the New World attracted many English people. Although the ocean trips took many lives, those who did get to North America were instrumental in building the necessary groundwork for what would become for new powerful nations. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America bore the name Walthall, or a variant listed above:
Walthall Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Alice A. Walthall, aged 25, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- John M. Walthall, aged 36, who immigrated to the United States, in 1908
- Henry B. Walthall, aged 31, who immigrated to America, in 1909
- Irene Kate Walthall, aged 13, who landed in America from Derby, England, in 1916
- Edgar Walthall, aged 20, who landed in America, in 1923
|Contemporary Notables of the name Walthall (post 1700) ||+|
- Henry Brazeale Walthall (1878-1936), American film actor, born on a cotton plantation in Shelby County, Alabama
- Edward Cary Walthall (1831-1898), American general in the Confederate States Army during the American Civil War, United States Senator from Mississippi