Wagenaar History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The German territory of Silesia is the noble birthplace of the surname Wagenaar. The name is derived from the Middle High German term "wagener," meaning "one who drives or makes wagons," and would likely have been initially borne by a wheelwright or carriage maker.
Early Origins of the Wagenaar family
The surname Wagenaar was first found in Saxony, where this family name became a prominent contributor to the development of the district from ancient times. Prominent in social affairs, the name became an important part of these turbulent regions as they emerged to form alliances with other families within the Feudal System and the nation.
Early History of the Wagenaar family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Wagenaar research. Another 260 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1656, 1845, 1812, 1762, 1742, 1745, 1660, 1717, 1747, 1779, 1813, 1883, 1869 and 1930 are included under the topic Early Wagenaar History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Wagenaar Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Wagner, Wegner, Wagoner, Wagener, Waganer, Waggener and many more.
Early Notables of the Wagenaar family (pre 1700)
Prominent bearers of the family name Wagenaar at this time were Gabriel Wagner (c.1660-c.1717), a radical German philosopher and materialist who wrote under the nom-de-plume Realis de Vienna; Heinrich Leopold Wagner (1747-1779), who was a German dramatist of the Storm and Stress period. The most famous Wagner is unquestionably Richard Wagner...
Another 50 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Wagenaar Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Wagenaar is the 262nd most popular surname with an estimated 5,345 people with that name. 
Wagenaar migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Wagenaar Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jacob Aertsen Wagenaar, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1642 
Wagenaar Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Johan Hendrik Wagenaar, who landed in New York in 1709 
- Andries Wagenaar, who arrived in New York in 1709 
- Niklaas Wagenaar, who arrived in New York in 1709 
- Johan Henrich Wagenaar, who arrived in Pennsylvania in 1752-1753 
- Hendrick Wagenaar, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1752-1753 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Wagenaar Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ulrich Wagenaar, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1803 
- O M Wagenaar, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1853 
- Toon Wagenaar, aged 26, who arrived in New York, NY in 1866 
- Dievertje Wagenaar, who landed in New York, NY in 1866 
- Gerritje Wagenaar, aged 23, who arrived in New York, NY in 1866 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)