100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Velez family come from? What is the Spanish Velez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Velez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Velez family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronymic Velez is such a name, having been derived from the medieval given name Velasco. This name was in turn derived from the Basque word "bela," which means "crow," and the diminutive suffix sko.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Blas, Blasco, Blásquez, Blasquez, Velázquez, Velazquez, Vásquez, Vasquez, Vázquez, Vazquez, Velasco, Vélez, Velez, Velasquez and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Velez research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1110 is included under the topic Early Velez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Velez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Velez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ruy Velez, who arrived in America in 1813
- Lucia Velez, who arrived in New Spain in 1834
- Catalina Velez, who landed in Veragua in 1835
- Francisco Velez, who arrived in Rio de la Plata in 1835
- Isabel Velez, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1836
Velez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ana Velez, aged 30, who landed in America from Medellin, Columbia, in 1910
- Berta Velez, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1910
- Arnaldo Velez, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Iquique, Chile, in 1918
- Bernardo Velez, aged 39, who settled in America from Solares, Spain, in 1920
- Anselo Velez, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1920
- Eddie Velez (b. 1958), Hispanic-American actor
- Desiree Marie Velez, Puerto Rican-American actor
- Eugenio Vélez (b. 1982), Dominican Republic baseball player
- David Velez (b. 1973), Colombian sound artist, composer, also known as Lezrod
- Clemente Soto Vélez (1905-1993), Puerto Rican nationalist, poet, journalist and activist
- Álvaro Uribe Vélez (b. 1952), President of Colombia
- Ada Velez (b. 1970), Puerto Rican female boxer
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Atienza, Julio De Atienza. Español: Diccionario Heraldico De Apellidos Españoles Y De Titulos Nobiliarios. Madrid: Aguilar, 1959. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Chronological list of passengers to Spanish America (including Florida and Louisiana, 1538-1559). From documents in the "Indian Archives". Sevilla. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
The Velez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Velez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 1 June 2015 at 23:41.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!