on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Velez family come from? What is the Spanish Velez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Velez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Velez family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronymic Velez is such a name, having been derived from the medieval given name Velasco. This name was in turn derived from the Basque word "bela," which means "crow," and the diminutive suffix sko.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Blas, Blasco, Blásquez, Blasquez, Velázquez, Velazquez, Vásquez, Vasquez, Vázquez, Vazquez, Velasco, Vélez, Velez, Velasquez and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Velez research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1110 is included under the topic Early Velez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Velez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Velez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Ruy Velez, who arrived in America in 1813
- Lucia Velez, who arrived in New Spain in 1834
- Catalina Velez, who landed in Veragua in 1835
- Francisco Velez, who arrived in Rio de la Plata in 1835
- Isabel Velez, who arrived in Dominican Republic in 1836
Velez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ana Velez, aged 30, who landed in America from Medellin, Columbia, in 1910
- Berta Velez, aged 11, who emigrated to the United States from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1910
- Arnaldo Velez, aged 25, who emigrated to the United States from Iquique, Chile, in 1918
- Bernardo Velez, aged 39, who settled in America from Solares, Spain, in 1920
- Anselo Velez, aged 22, who settled in America, in 1920
- Desiree Marie Velez, Puerto Rican-American actor
- Eddie Velez (b. 1958), Hispanic-American actor
- Ada Velez (b. 1970), Puerto Rican female boxer
- Álvaro Uribe Vélez (b. 1952), President of Colombia
- Clemente Soto Vélez (1905-1993), Puerto Rican nationalist, poet, journalist and activist
- David Velez (b. 1973), Colombian sound artist, composer, also known as Lezrod
- Eugenio Vélez (b. 1982), Dominican Republic baseball player
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
The Velez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Velez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 December 2014 at 12:20.
on orders of $85 or more