on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Velasquez family come from? What is the Spanish Velasquez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Velasquez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Velasquez family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronymic Velasquez is such a name, having been derived from the medieval given name Velasco. This name was in turn derived from the Basque word "bela," which means "crow," and the diminutive suffix sko.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Blas, Blasco, Blásquez, Blasquez, Velázquez, Velazquez, Vásquez, Vasquez, Vázquez, Vazquez, Velasco, Vélez, Velez, Velasquez and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Velasquez research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1110 is included under the topic Early Velasquez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Velasquez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Velasquez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Delons Velasquez, aged 16, who settled in America, in 1897
Velasquez Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Federico Crempie Velasquez, aged 43, who landed in America from Barranquilla, Columbia, in 1912
- Ernesto Velasquez, aged 18, who landed in America from Mexico City, Mexico, in 1913
- Evangalina Velasquez, aged 35, who emigrated to America from Medellin, Columbia, in 1914
- Fred Velasquez, who emigrated to the United States, in 1914
- Alexand Velasquez, aged 25, who landed in America from Barranquilla, Columbia, in 1916
- Jorge Velásquez (b. 1946), Panama-born, American thoroughbred horse racing Hall of Fame jockey
- Regine Velasquez (b. 1970), Filipina singer, actress
- Wilmer Raynel Neal Velasquez (b. 1972), retired Honduran football player
- Carlos Iván Velasquez (b. 1984), Puerto Rican amateur boxer
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Maduell, Charles R. Compiler Index of Spanish Citizens Entering the Port of New Orleans Between January 1840 and December 1865. New Orleans: The Compiler, 1966. Print.
- García Carraffa, Alberto and Arturo. Diccionario Heráldico y Genealógico de Apellidos Españoles y Americanos 88 Volumes. Madrid: A. Marzo. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Archivo General De Indias, Sevilla. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias durante los Siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Edited by the docents of the General Indian Archives under the Director of the Archives, Don Cristobal Bermudez Plata 3 Volumes - Volume 1 1509-1534. Sevilla, Spain: Imprenta de la Gavidia, 1940. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Armorial Général by J.B. Rietstap. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. 1967. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-209).
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
The Velasquez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Velasquez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 September 2012 at 16:55.
on orders of $85 or more