on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Spanish Vazquez family come from? What is the Spanish Vazquez family crest and coat of arms? When did the Vazquez family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Vazquez family history?In Spain, the earliest forms of hereditary surnames were patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. The patronymic Vazquez is such a name, having been derived from the medieval given name Velasco. This name was in turn derived from the Basque word "bela," which means "crow," and the diminutive suffix sko.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Blas, Blasco, Blásquez, Blasquez, Velázquez, Velazquez, Vásquez, Vasquez, Vázquez, Vazquez, Velasco, Vélez, Velez, Velasquez and many more.
First found in Castile, where the name originated in Visigothic times.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vazquez research. Another 141 words(10 lines of text) covering the year 1110 is included under the topic Early Vazquez History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 121 words(9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vazquez Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
- Lucas Vázquez de Ayllón, a nobleman who voyaged to Mexico with Cortés
- Francisco Vázquez de Coronado, who settled in Mexico in 1535. He explored the Rio Grande and the Grand Canyon, and went as far as Arkansas. His brother Juan emigrated to Central America, and held administrative posts in Guatemala, San Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua and Costa Rica
Vazquez Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Marcelino Vazquez, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1804
- Juan Vazquez, who landed in America in 1812
- Isabel Vazquez, who arrived in America in 1813
- Mencia Vazquez, who arrived in America in 1813
- Catalina Vazquez, who arrived in America in 1813
- Javier Carlos Vázquez (b. 1976), American from Puerto Rico who is a pitcher in the Major leagues
- Fernando Vázquez (b. 1954), Spanish Galician football manager
- Juan Manuel Montero Vázquez (b. 1947), Spanish military physician and Surgeon General
- Felipe Arregui Vázquez (b. 1936), Mexican civil engineer
- Pedro Ramírez Vázquez (1919-2013), Mexican architect
- Milton Ariel Wynants Vázquez (b. 1971), cyclist who competed in two consecutive Summer Olympics
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Caballeros de La Orden de Santiago Siglo XVIII. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1996. Print.
- Diez, Ma Del Carmen Galbis. Catalogo de Pasajeros a Indias Durante los siglos XVI, XVII y XVIII Archivo General de Indias Sevilla Volume 6. Murcia, Spain: Ministerio de Cultura, 1986. Print.
- Carr, Raymond. Spain, 1808-1975. 2nd Ed. . Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1982. Print. (ISBN 978-0198221272).
- de Cadenas, Vicente Y Viicent. Heraldic Patronimica Española Y Sus Patronimicos Compuestos. Madrid: Hidalguía, 1976. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
- Domínguez, C. Hispano de Apellidos y Blasones. 4 Vols. 2001. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Rasmussen, Louis J. . San Francisco Ship Passenger Lists 4 Volumes Colma, California 1965 Reprint. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1978. Print.
- Annuaire Général Héraldique Universel. Paris: Institut Héraldique, 1901. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came in Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Vazquez Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vazquez Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 20 May 2014 at 02:56.
houseofnames.com is an internet property owned by Swyrich Corporation.
on orders of $85 or more