Vannoy History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The distinguished surname Vannoy is Dutch in origin. It is thought to be derived from the Belgian place name "Huy." This element combined with the characteristic Dutch prefix "van," meaning "from," would indicate "one who came from Huy."
Early Origins of the Vannoy family
The surname Vannoy was first found in Holland, where the Vannoy family became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in South Holland, a province of Holland, the most crowded province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Rotterdam, Leyden and Shiedam. Noted is the famed castle of Teilengen where Jacqueline of Bavaria is buried. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. The family name Vandehey held a family seat in Rotterdam.
Early History of the Vannoy family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vannoy research. Another 70 words (5 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vannoy History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vannoy Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Van der Hey, Van Hay, Van Hey, Van Heye, van der Haye, Vandehey, Vanderhay, Vanderhey, Vanhoy, Vanhey and many more.
Early Notables of the Vannoy family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Vannoy Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Vannoy is the 6,726th most popular surname with an estimated 4,974 people with that name. 
Migration of the Vannoy family
Some of the first settlers of this family name or some of its variants were: Peter VanHooij, who sailed from Rotterdam to New York on the ship John Hancock in 1849; and Anton VandeHey, who came to Wisconsin in 1864.
Contemporary Notables of the name Vannoy (post 1700) +
- Henry Clay Van Noy (1881-1938), American businessman, the last surviving member of the Van Noy Brothers of Kansas City who founded what is now known as HMSHost, a highway and airport food-service company
- Private Junior Van Noy, American soldier awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1943
- E. F. Vannoy, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Colorado, 1928 
- Allen F. Vannoy, American politician, Mayor of McAllen, Texas, 1945-47 
- A. Mitch Vannoy, American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from North Carolina, 1916 
- Vannoy Hartrog Manning (1839-1892), American Democratic Party politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Arkansas, 1860; Colonel in the Confederate Army during the Civil War; U.S. Representative from Mississippi 2nd District, 1877-83
Related Stories +