100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Vandeventer was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in Utrecht, a city and capital of the province of Utrecht. The ramparts of this ancient city were destroyed in 1830. The Domkerk (1254) is on the site of the original church of St.Willibrord in 720. In the crypt are the hearts of Conrad II (1039) and Henry V (1125) two German Emperors. The Museum is notable for its relics and artifacts. Its tumultuous history was strongly influenced by religious conflict. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Deventer, Devennter, Deventter, Deventers, Deventor, Deventere, Deventerre, Deventeres and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandeventer research. Another 155 words (11 lines of text) covering the years 1500 and 1575 are included under the topic Early Vandeventer History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 125 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandeventer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vandeventer Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan Pietersen VanDeventer, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664
- Pieter Jansen VanDeventer, who landed in New Jersey in 1662
- Pieter Jansen VanDeventer, who came to New Jersey in 1662
- Jan VanDeventer, who came to New Jersey in 1662
- Jan Pietersen VanDeventer, who arrived in New Netherland sometime between 1620 and 1664
Vandeventer Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Cornelius Vandeventer, who came to New York in 1776
- Abraham Vandeventer, who arrived in New York in 1776
Vandeventer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wernard Vandeventer, who settled in 1854
- C. VanDeventer, who came to Texas in 1881
- C VanDeventer, who landed in Texas in 1881
Vandeventer Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- David van Deventer, aged 39, who landed in America, in 1907
- Mrs.M.L. Van Deventer, who settled in America, in 1907
- Martha Van Deventer, aged 33, who emigrated to the United States, in 1911
- Franciscus Van Deventer, aged 27, who emigrated to America from Barendriehl, Holland, in 1911
- Franciskers Van Deventer, aged 30, who landed in America from Leiden, Holland, in 1913
- William L. Vandeventer (b. 1889), American Republican politician, Member of Missouri State House of Representatives from Christian County, 1921-22; U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, 1929-34
- William L. Vandeventer, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Illinois State Constitutional Convention 25th District, 1869-70; Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Illinois, 1884
- James M. Vandeventer Jr. (b. 1963), American Republican politician, Candidate for Governor of California, 2003
- James Vandeventer, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Mercer County, 1855
- A. C. Vandeventer, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Illinois, 1868
- Juan Van Deventer (b. 1983), South African Olympic distance runner at the 2008 Summer Olympics
- Lieutenant-General Sir Jacob van Deventer KCB CMG DTD (1874-1922), South African military commander
- Danny van Deventer, Cinematographer
- Marie Van Deventer, Actress
- Schenk, Trudy. Wuerttemberg Emigration Index Volume I-VIII. Salt Lake City: Ancestry Inc., 1986. Print.
- Bayerisch Stammenbuch von den alten abgestorbenen Fuerten. Print.
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Neubecker, Ottfried. Großes Wappen-Bilder-Lexikon der bürgerlichen Geschlechter Deutschlands Oesterreichs und der Schweiz. Battenberg, München: 1985. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Tobler-Meyer, Wilhelm. Familiennamen der Ostschweiz. Zürich: 1894. Print.
- Grattan, Thomas Colley. Holdan The History of the Netherlands. Charleston, SC: Biblio Bazaar LLC, 2007. Print.
- De Jong, Gerald Francis. The Dutch in America 1609-1974. New York: Twayne, 1975. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmachers Wappenbuch. München: 1975. Print.
The Vandeventer Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Vandeventer Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 09:39.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!