Vandermeer History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Vandermeer family
The surname Vandermeer was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Vandermeer family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Vandermeer research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the years 1842, 1632, 1675, 1628, 1691, 1659, 1700, 1656 and 1705 are included under the topic Early Vandermeer History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Vandermeer Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Meer, Meere, Mer, Mere, Meeres, Meers, Meres, Mers, Meerr, Merr, Merrs and many more.
Early Notables of the Vandermeer family (pre 1700)
From this era of Dutch history, those of this who distinguished themselves included Jan Vermeer (1632-1675), also called Jan van der Meer van Delft, a renowned Dutch painter; Jan Vermeer van Haarlem the Elder (1628-1691), a...
Another 35 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Vandermeer Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In Netherlands, the name Vandermeer is the 28th most popular surname with an estimated 22,653 people with that name. 
Vandermeer migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Vandermeer Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Cornelis VanderMeer, aged 35, who landed in New York, NY in 1847 
- Geertje VanderMeer, aged 22, who arrived in New York, NY in 1848 
- Gelbrand VanderMeer, aged 14, who landed in New York, NY in 1848 
- Jacob VanderMeer, aged 16, who arrived in New York, NY in 1848 
- Jan VanderMeer, aged 12, who landed in New York, NY in 1848 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Vandermeer (post 1700) +
- Jeffrey Scott VanderMeer (b. 1968), American New York Times Best Selling writer, editor, teacher, and publisher, awarded the BSFA Award, World Fantasy Award and Nebula Award
- John Samuel Vander Meer (1914-1997), American baseball player, who was the only player to pitch no-hitters in two consecutive games
- Vonne van der Meer (b. 1952), Dutch prose writer and playwright
- Simon van der Meer (1925-2011), Dutch particle accelerator physicist, co-recipient of the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1984
- Johan van der Meer (1913-2011), Dutch choral conductor
- Henricus Antonius Wilhelmus "Harry" van der Meer (1973-1990), Dutch Olympic water polo player in the 1990s
- Susie van der Meer (b. 1973), German singer-songwriter
- Peter Vandermeer (b. 1975), Canadian professional ice hockey left winger
- James Patrick "Jim" Vandermeer (b. 1980), Canadian professional NHL ice hockey player
- Tony Vandermeer, Canadian politician
Related Stories +
- ^ https://forebears.io/netherlands/surnames
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)