Van Ness History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Van Ness family
The surname Van Ness was first found in Udine, a town in Venetia and capital of the province of Udine. An old walled city it dates back to early Roman times. There is an old castle (1517) in the center of the town which is now used as a museum and art gallery. The church of S. Maria della Purita is notable with many treasures. The town hall was built in 1448. It was the seat of the Italian command in WWI. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time, at the beginning of recorded history, was of itself a great distinction and indicative of noble ancestry.
Early History of the Van Ness family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Ness research. Another 127 words (9 lines of text) covering the years 1287, 1599, 1733, 1803, 1563, 1610, 1590, 1657, 1585, 1643, 1413 and 1495 are included under the topic Early Van Ness History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Ness Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Vanni, Vannelli, Vannello, Vannella, Vanelli, Vannetti, Vannini, Vanini, Vanin, Vannoli, Vanoli, Vannocci, Vannozzi, Vannotti, Vannucci, Vannuccini, Vannuzzi, Vannoni, Vannacci and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Ness family (pre 1700)
Prominent among members of the family was Francesco Vanni (1563-1610), an Italian painter of the Mannerist style, active in Rome and his native city of Siena; and his son Raffaello Vanni (1590-1657), an Italian painter of the Baroque. Ottavio Vannini (1585-c. 1643)...
Another 42 words (3 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Van Ness Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Ness migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Ness Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Cornelius Hendrickse VanNess, who arrived in New Netherland(s) in 1620-1664 
- Cornelis Hendrickse VanNess, who arrived in New York in 1641
- Pieter VanNess, who arrived in New York in 1647
- Pieter VanNess, who arrived in New York, NY in 1647 
- Hendrick Gerritzen VanNess, who arrived in New York, NY in 1654 
Van Ness Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Lawrence Vanness, who settled in Philadelphia in 1810
- Charles Vanness, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1810
- George Vanness, who settled in New York, NY in 1824
- P VanNess, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- H Vanness, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Ness (post 1700) +
- James Van Ness (1808-1872), American politician, mayor of San Francisco from 1855-1856
- John Peter Van Ness (1770-1846), American politician, U.S. Representative from New York
- James T. Vanness, American politician, Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Essex County, 1874 
- Dudley Vanness Sutphin Ph.D., (1875-1926), American attorney and judge, a French Legion of Honor medal winner
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 9) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html