Van Gelder History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Early Origins of the Van Gelder family
The surname Van Gelder was first found in Holland, where the name became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. The name was first recorded in North Holland, a province of the Netherlands
in Haarlem. The principal cities are Amsterdam, Haarlem and Hilversum. It was the seat of the old Counts of Holland. Seat of one of the oldest families is Brederode Castle near Haarlem. There are many old and quaint towns in the province. including Medemblik, Enkhuizen, Hoorn, Edam, and Monnikendam. In their later history the surname became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Van Gelder family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Van Gelder research.Another 271 words (19 lines of text) covering the years 1670 and 1673 are included under the topic Early Van Gelder History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Van Gelder Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Gelder, van Gelder, Vangelder, Op-Gelder and many more.
Early Notables of the Van Gelder family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Van Gelder Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Van Gelder family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Van Gelder Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jan VanGelder, who arrived in New York in 1664 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Contemporary Notables of the name Van Gelder (post 1700)
- Rudy Van Gelder (b. 1924), American jazz recording engineer
- Leslie Van Gelder (b. 1969), American archaeologist, writer, and educator, daughter of Richard George Van Gelder
- Richard George Van Gelder (1928-1994), American mammalogist, Curator of Mammalogy for the American Museum of Natural History in New York
- Lawrence Van Gelder, American journalist and journalism professor, brother of Richard Van Gelder
- Gordon Van Gelder (b. 1966), American two-time Hugo Award winning science fiction editor, managing editor of The New York Review of Science Fiction from 1988 to 1993
- Dora van Gelder Kunz (1904-1999), American writer, psychic, alternative healer and leader in the Theosophical Society in America
- Yuri van Gelder (b. 1983), Dutch four-time gold medalist gymnast
- Gerard Jan Henk van Gelder FBA (b. 1947), Dutch academic, Laudian Professor of Arabic at the University of Oxford from 1998 to 2012
Van Gelder Family Crest Products
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)