Valles History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Of all the French names to come from that northwestern peninsula of France known as Brittany, Valles is one of the most ancient. The name is a result of the original family having lived in Brittany. The name Valles is also derived from the Old French word vallee, meaning valley, and indicates that the original bearer lived in a valley.
Early Origins of the Valles family
The surname Valles was first found in Brittany where this distinguished family held a family seat in Val, and were important members of the aristocracy of the region.
Early History of the Valles family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Valles research. Another 105 words (8 lines of text) covering the years 1552, 1773, 1832, 1846, and 1885 are included under the topic Early Valles History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Valles Spelling Variations
French surnames were subject to numerous alterations in spelling because of the various cultural groups that inhabited specific regions. Eventually, each region possessed its own local dialect of the French language. The early development of the French language, however, was also influenced by other languages. For example, Old French was infused with Germanic words and sounds when barbarian tribes invaded and settled in France after the fall of the Roman Empire. Middle French also borrowed heavily from the Italian language during the Renaissance. As a result of these linguistic and cultural influences, the name Valles is distinguished by a number of regional variations. The many spelling variations of the name include Vallée, La Vallée, De Vallée, Valleau, Vallé, Valée, La Vallé, Valles, Vallès, Valley, Vallis, Valleix, Valleise and many more.
Early Notables of the Valles family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst this name at this time was Marin de la Vallée (1576-1655), French architect associated with the Paris Hôtel de Ville and the Luxembourg Palace; Simon de la Vallée (1590-1642), a French-born, Swedish...
Another 34 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Valles Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Valles migration to the United States +
By 1643 there were only about 300 people in Quebec. Since immigration was slow, early marriage was desperately encouraged amongst the immigrants. The fur trade attracted migrants, both noble and commoner. 15,000 explorers left Montreal in the late 17th and 18th centuries. By 1675, there were 7000 French in Quebec. By the same year the Acadian presence in Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island had reached 500. In 1755, 10,000 French Acadians refused to take an oath of allegiance to England and were deported to Louisiana. The French founded Lower Canada, thus becoming one of the two great founding nations of Canada. The distinguished family name Valles has made significant contributions to the culture, arts, sciences and religion of France and New France. Amongst the settlers in North America with this distinguished name Valles were
Valles Settlers in United States in the 16th Century
- Gaspar de Valles, who sailed to America in 1527
Valles Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dionisio Valles, who landed in Puerto Rico in 1804 
- Gaspar De Valles, who arrived in America in 1827 
- B Valles, aged 32, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1841 
- P Valles, aged 26, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1854 
- A F Valles, aged 30, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1854 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Valles (post 1700) +
- Arlington Valles (1886-1970), born Fred Valles, American Academy Award winning costume designer for his work on Spartacus
- Judith Valles, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from California, 2000; Mayor of San Bernardino, California, 2003 
- Jules Vallès (1832-1885), French journalist and author
- Gabriel Vallés (b. 1986), Argentine footballer
- Xavier Vallès Trias (b. 1979), Spanish water polo player at the 2008 and 2012 Summer Olympics
- Enric Vallès Prat (b. 1990), Spanish professional footballer
- Adrián Vallés (b. 1986), Spanish race car driver
- Lorenzo Valles, Spanish painter
- José Vallés, Spanish actor
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ The Political Graveyard: Alphabetical Name Index. (Retrieved 2015, December 10) . Retrieved from http://politicalgraveyard.com/alpha/index.html