on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Unwin family come from? What is the English Unwin family crest and coat of arms? When did the Unwin family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Unwin family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Unwin, Unwyn, Unwynn, Unwine and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Unwin research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Unwin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Unwin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Georg Unwin, who landed in Virginia in 1637
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Unwin settled in Virginia in 1721
- Martin Unwin, who arrived in New England in 1737
- Francis Unwin settled in New England in 1770
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Earl Unwin, aged 9, who emigrated to America from Sheffield, in 1895
- Eliz. A. Unwin, aged 25, who landed in America from Shipley, in 1897
- George Unwin, aged 38, who landed in America from Nottingham, in 1899
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edgar Walker Unwin, aged 36, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Elorine Winifred Unwin, aged 15, who landed in America from Cambridge, in 1906
- Ada Unwin, aged 36, who settled in America from London, England, in 1909
- George E. Unwin, aged 37, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1909
- Bertram Unwin, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from New Market, England, in 1911
Unwin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Francis Unwin, English convict from Oxford, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 29, 1828, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Unwin, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Unwin, aged 36, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Indian"
- John Unwin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Abberton" in 1849
- William Unwin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Indian" in 1849
- Benjamin V. Unwin, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1956; Candidate for Michigan State Senate 6th District, 1956
- Thomas Fisher Unwin (1848-1935), English publisher, founder the publishing firm T. Fisher Unwin (1882)
- Stephen Unwin (b. 1960), English theatre director
- Stephen D. Unwin, English physicist
- Sir Stanley Unwin (1884-1968), English publisher, co-founder of George Allen and Unwin (1914)
- Paul Unwin (b. 1957), English Oscar and BAFTA nominated film and television director
- Nora Sicer Unwin (1907-1982), English children's illustrator and author
- Jim Unwin (1912-2003), English rugby union international player
- Wing Commander George Cecil Unwin DSO, DFM & Bar (1913-2006), English RAF wing commander
- Commodore Edward Unwin VC CB Unwin VC, CB, CMG (1864-1950), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
The Unwin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Unwin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 16 November 2015 at 11:33.
on orders of $85 or more