100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Unwin, Unwyn, Unwynn, Unwine and others.
First found in Essex where they held a family seat from very ancient times, before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Unwin research. Another 121 words (9 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Unwin History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Unwin Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Georg Unwin, who landed in Virginia in 1637
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- John Unwin settled in Virginia in 1721
- Martin Unwin, who arrived in New England in 1737
- Francis Unwin settled in New England in 1770
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Earl Unwin, aged 9, who emigrated to America from Sheffield, in 1895
- Eliz. A. Unwin, aged 25, who landed in America from Shipley, in 1897
- George Unwin, aged 38, who landed in America from Nottingham, in 1899
Unwin Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Edgar Walker Unwin, aged 36, who landed in America from London, in 1906
- Elorine Winifred Unwin, aged 15, who landed in America from Cambridge, in 1906
- Ada Unwin, aged 36, who settled in America from London, England, in 1909
- George E. Unwin, aged 37, who emigrated to America from London, England, in 1909
- Bertram Unwin, aged 21, who emigrated to the United States from New Market, England, in 1911
Unwin Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Francis Unwin, English convict from Oxford, who was transported aboard the "Albion" on May 29, 1828, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- George Unwin, English convict from Staffordshire, who was transported aboard the "Anna Maria" on March 6, 1848, settling in Van Diemen's Land, Australia
- William Unwin, aged 36, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Indian"
- John Unwin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Abberton" in 1849
- William Unwin arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Indian" in 1849
- Benjamin V. Unwin, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Michigan, 1956; Candidate for Michigan State Senate 6th District, 1956
- Wing Commander George Cecil Unwin DSO, DFM & Bar (1913-2006), English RAF wing commander, his No. 19 Squadron was the first unit to receive the Supermarine Spitfire in 1938 and Unwin was one of the first to fly the machine (K9792) on 16 August
- Sir Stanley Unwin (1884-1968), English publisher, co-founder of George Allen and Unwin in 1914
- Thomas Fisher Unwin (1848-1935), English publisher, founder the publishing firm T. Fisher Unwin in 1882
- Commodore Edward Unwin VC, CB, CMG (1864-1950), English recipient of the Victoria Cross
- Stephen Unwin (b. 1960), English theatre director
- Stephen D. Unwin, English physicist
- Paul Unwin (b. 1957), English Oscar and BAFTA nominated film and television director
- Nora Sicer Unwin (1907-1982), English children's illustrator and author
- Jim Unwin (1912-2003), English rugby union international player
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Unwin Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Unwin Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 22 January 2016 at 08:10.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!