100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German
The Ulrich surname come comes from the old German personal name Uodal-rich. The name became popular in the Middle Ages in part due to St. Ulrich, a bishop of Augsburg.
The surname Ulrich was first found in Bavaria
, in the city of Nuremburg, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name as a first name was associated with many notable figures of the mediaeval period, such as St. Ulrich, bishop of Augsburg, or Ulrich von Lichtenstein (1200-1276,) poet of courtly behavior. By the 14th century the name was firmly grounded as a prominent surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ulrich, Ulrichs, Ullrich, Ulrick, Ulrik, Ullrik, Ullrick, Urich and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ulrich research. Another 275 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1623, 1701, 1633, 1714, 1685, 1702 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Ulrich History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 117 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ulrich Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias and Cristof Ulrich, who emigrated with their families to America in 1709
- Johann Elias Ulrich, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Philip Ulrich, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Hans Michael Ulrich, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Adam Ulrich, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Ulrich, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- August L Ulrich, who landed in New York in 1820
- Ignacio Ulrich, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1840
- Catherina Ulrich, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Christina Ulrich, who came to Texas in 1846
- Ryan Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Washington, 2008
- Robert G. Ulrich, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, 1981-89
- Otto Ulrich, American politician, Member of Nebraska State Senate, 1921
- Mark Burghardt Ulrich, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 2008
- John Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 1888; Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Union County, 1888-90
- John Ulrich (1871-1943), American Republican politician, Steelworker; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Ohio County, 1927-32; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 1932
- J. F. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 1940, 1944
- George Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut, 1894
- Frederick Ulrich, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 17th District, 1913
- Frank J. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 6th District, 1903-04
- Uhrich, A History and Genealogy by Thomas Vincent Uhrich.
- The Family History of Frederich H. Ulrich by Esther Urich Bender.
- Strassburger, Ralph B. Pennsylvania German Pioneers The Original Lists of Arrivals in the Port of Philadelphia 3 Volumes. Baltimore: Picton Press, 1992. Print. (ISBN 978-0929539980).
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Siebmacher, J.J. Siebmacher's Grosses Wappenbuch 35 Volumes. Germany: Bauer & Raspe. Print.
- Zoder, Rudolf. Familiennamen in Ostfalen. Hildesheim: Geog Olms Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1968. Print.
- Gritzner, M. Handbuch der heraldischen Terminologie in zwölf Zungen. Nürnberg: 1890. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Rietstap, Johannes Baptist. Armorial Général. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Rolland, and H.V. Rolland. Illustrations to the Armorial general by J. B. Rietstap 6 volumes in 3. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1976. Print.
The Ulrich Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ulrich Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 March 2016 at 22:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!