100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: German, Swiss
The Ulrich surname come comes from the old German personal name Uodal-rich. The name became popular in the Middle Ages in part due to St. Ulrich, a bishop of Augsburg.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Ulrich, Ulrichs, Ullrich, Ulrick, Ulrik, Ullrik, Ullrick, Urich and many more.
First found in Bavaria, in the city of Nuremburg, where the name was anciently associated with the tribal conflicts of the area. They declared allegiances to many nobles and princes of early history, lending their influence in struggles for power and status within the region. They branched into many houses, and their contributions were sought by many leaders in their search for power. The name as a first name was associated with many notable figures of the mediaeval period, such as St. Ulrich, bishop of Augsburg, or Ulrich von Lichtenstein (1200-1276,) poet of courtly behavior. By the 14th century the name was firmly grounded as a prominent surname.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Ulrich research. Another 275 words (20 lines of text) covering the years 1612, 1623, 1701, 1633, 1714, 1685, 1702 and 1701 are included under the topic Early Ulrich History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 117 words (8 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Ulrich Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Elias and Cristof Ulrich, who emigrated with their families to America in 1709
- Johann Elias Ulrich, who landed in New York, NY in 1710
- Philip Ulrich, who arrived in Philadelphia in 1732
- Hans Michael Ulrich, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1737
- Adam Ulrich, aged 24, arrived in Pennsylvania in 1738
Ulrich Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Dorothea Ulrich, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1803
- August L Ulrich, who landed in New York in 1820
- Ignacio Ulrich, who arrived in Puerto Rico in 1840
- Catherina Ulrich, who arrived in Galveston, Tex in 1845
- Christina Ulrich, who came to Texas in 1846
- Ryan Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from Washington, 2008
- Robert G. Ulrich, American politician, U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Missouri, 1981-89
- Otto Ulrich, American politician, Member of Nebraska State Senate, 1921
- Mark Burghardt Ulrich, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from Louisiana, 2008
- John Ulrich, American Republican politician, Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from New Jersey, 1888; Member of New Jersey State House of Assembly from Union County, 1888-90
- John Ulrich (1871-1943), American Republican politician, Steelworker; Member of West Virginia State House of Delegates from Ohio County, 1927-32; Alternate Delegate to Republican National Convention from West Virginia, 1932
- J. F. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Oregon, 1940, 1944
- George Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Mayor of Hartford, Connecticut, 1894
- Frederick Ulrich, American politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 17th District, 1913
- Frank J. Ulrich, American Democrat politician, Member of New York State Assembly from Kings County 6th District, 1903-04
- Uhrich, A History and Genealogy by Thomas Vincent Uhrich.
- The Family History of Frederich H. Ulrich by Esther Urich Bender.
- Rupp, Daniel L. A Collection of Upwards of Thirty Thousand Names of German, Swiss, Dutch, French and Other Immigrants to Pennsylvania from 1727 to 1776. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 2000. Print. (ISBN 978-0806303024).
- Götze, Alfred. Familiennamen im badischen Oberland. Heidelberg: C. Winter, 1918. Print.
- Jones, George F. The Germans of Colonial Georgia 1733-1783 Revised edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0806311614).
- Fogleman, Aaron Spencer. Hopeful Journeys German Immigration, Settlement, and Political Culture in Colonial America 1717-1775. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1986. Print. (ISBN 978-0812215489).
- Bahlow, Hans. Mecklenburgisches Namenbüchlein Ein Führer durch Mecklenburgs Familiennamen. Rostock: Carl Hinstorffs Verlag, 1932. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Tarneller, Josef. Zur Namenkunde Tirolen Familiennamen. Bozen: Buchhandlung, 1923. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Ulrich Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Ulrich Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 March 2016 at 22:08.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!