on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English, Irish
Where did the Irish Tyrrell family come from? What is the Irish Tyrrell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tyrrell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tyrrell family history?The surname Tyrrell is derived from the Old French word "tirel," derived from "tirer," "to pull." The word was often used to refer to an animal that pulled carts; thus it may be that it was used as a nickname for a stubborn person, before coming to be used as a hereditary surname.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tyrell, Terrell, Terrill, Tyrill, Tirell, Tyrrell and many more.
First found in Westmeath (Irish: An Iarmhí) in the Irish Midlands, province of Leinster, where a Tyrrell family obtained a grant of most of the barony of Fertullagh, as well as the lordship of Castleknock in County Dublin.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tyrrell research. Another 181 words (13 lines of text) covering the years 1597, 1676, 1688, 1224, 1692, 1676, 1689, 1617, 1701, 1619, 1693, 1646 and 1692 are included under the topic Early Tyrrell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 157 words (11 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Tyrrell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tyrrell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Tyrrell, who arrived in Virginia in 1667
Tyrrell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Michael Tyrrell, who arrived in America in 1739
Tyrrell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Patrick Tyrrell, who arrived in New York in 1837
- Bridget Tyrrell, who was on record in Pittsburgh in 1854
Tyrrell Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Robert Tyrrell, who arrived at Halifax in 1749
- Robert Tyrrell, who landed in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1749
Tyrrell Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- James Tyrrell, who came to Canada in 1827
- James Tyrrell, aged 24, a labourer, arrived in Saint John, NB in 1834 aboard the brig "Sea Horse" from Galway
- Mary Tyrrell, who landed in Nova Scotia in 1836
Tyrrell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Robert Tyrrell, a baker, arrived in Van Diemen’s Land (now Tasmania) sometime between 1825 and 1832
- Reuben Tyrrell, aged 21, a shoemaker, arrived in South Australia in 1850 aboard the ship "Stag"
- Edwin Tyrrell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Bolivar" in 1850
- Thomas Tyrrell arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Caroline Agnes" in 1850
- James Tyrrell, aged 19, arrived in South Australia in 1851 aboard the ship "Marion"
Tyrrell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Thomas Tyrrell landed in Nelson, New Zealand in 1842
- Walter Tyrrell, aged 23, a labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Douglas" in 1873
- Alfred Tyrrell, aged 19, a farm labourer, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Strathnaver" in 1874
- Susan Tyrrell (1945-2012), born Susan Jillian Creamer, an American Academy Award nominated actress, known for her roles in Cry-Baby (1990), Powder (1995) and Tales of Ordinary Madness (1981)
- William Tyrrell, American Republican politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 1872
- John F. Tyrrell, American Republican politician, Illinois Republican State Chair, 1937, 1945; Member of Illinois Republican State Central Committee, 1943
- Francis X. Tyrrell, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts, 1912, 1928; Candidate for U.S. Representative from Massachusetts 9th District, 1926
- Chester W. Tyrrell, American Republican politician, First Selectman of Monroe, Connecticut, 1920-27; Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Monroe; Elected 1930
- Emmett Tyrrell (b. 1943), American conservative magazine editor, New York Times bestselling author, and columnist
- George Tyrrell (1861-1909), Irish theologian
- Professor Robert Yelverton Tyrrell (1844-1914), Irish classical scholar and poet
- Mr. Frederick Levi Tyrrell (d. 1941), British Ordinary Seaman, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and died during the sinking
- Robert Kenneth "Ken" Tyrrell (1924-2001), British Formula Two racing driver and the founder of the Tyrrell Formula One constructor
- Donovan, George Francis. The Pre-Revolutionary Irish in Massachusetts 1620-1775. Menasha, WI: Geroge Banta Publsihing Co., 1932. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- The Norman People and Their Existing Descendants in the British Dominions and the United States Of America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0636-X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Vicars, Sir Arthur. Index to the Prerogative Wills of Ireland 1536-1810. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Browning, Charles H. Americans of Royal Descent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- McDonnell, Frances. Emigrants from Ireland to America 1735-1743 A Transcription of the report of the Irish House of Commons into Enforced emigration to America. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1331-5).
- Land Owners in Ireland. Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1203-3).
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Hickey, D.J. and J.E. Doherty. A New Dictionary of Irish History form 1800 2nd Edition. Dublin: Gil & MacMillian, 2003. Print.
The Tyrrell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tyrrell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 13 December 2015 at 08:28.
on orders of $85 or more