on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Treadwell family come from? What is the English Treadwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Treadwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Treadwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Treadwell, Treadway, Threadwell, Tredway, Threadway, Tredway, Tradewell, Tradway and many more.
First found in Suffolk where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1248 when Thomas Treddewel held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Treadwell research. Another 207 words (15 lines of text) covering the years 1603, 1st , 1642, 1455, 1487, 1595 and 1677 are included under the topic Early Treadwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Treadwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Treadwell Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Treadwell, who landed in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1637
- Thomas Treadwell, who arrived in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1638
Treadwell Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Agus Treadwell, who arrived in New Jersey in 1762
Treadwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- J P Treadwell, who landed in San Francisco, California in 1850
- J C Treadwell, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
Treadwell Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- Hannah Treadwell, aged 14, a domestic servant, arrived in South Australia in 1853 aboard the ship "Shackamaxon"
Treadwell Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Betsey Treadwell, aged 19, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dorette" in 1874
- Jane Treadwell, aged 27, a servant, arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Dorette" in 1874
- Louis Mead Treadwell II (b. 1956), American politician, 11th Lieutenant Governor of Alaska from 2010 to 2014
- Marshall Treadwell (1875-1958), American politician and farmer, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from New Fairfield, 1921-1922
- Alexander Treadwell, American politician, Delegate to Republican National Convention from New York, 2004
- Harry A. Treadwell, American politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from East Hartford, 1910
- John Treadwell (1745-1823), American politician, Delegate to Continental Congress from Connecticut, 1784-1787, Member of Connecticut Council of Assistants, 1786-1798, Lieutenant Governor of Connecticut, 1797-1809, Governor of Connecticut, 1809-11
- Timothy Treadwell (1957-2003), born Timothy Dexter, an American environmentalist and bear enthusiast who was killed by a brown bear, inspiration for the acclaimed 2005 documentary film Grizzly Man
- Sophie Treadwell (1885-1970), American playwright and journalist, best known for her play Machinal
- Captain Jack L Treadwell, American officer awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor in 1945
- David Treadwell (b. 1965), American football placekicker
- Frederick Pearson Treadwell (1857-1919), American-Swiss Chemist
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Foster, Joseph. Dictionary of Heraldry Feudal Coats of Arms and Pedigrees. London: Bracken Books, 1989. Print. (ISBN 1-85170-309-8).
The Treadwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Treadwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 12 December 2015 at 20:49.
on orders of $85 or more