on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the Scottish Torrance family come from? What is the Scottish Torrance family crest and coat of arms? When did the Torrance family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Torrance family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Torrance, Torrens, Torrence and others.
First found in Stirlingshire. The name is a habitation name from either East Kilbride or north of Glasgow where it is derived from the Gaelic word "torran" which means "hillock" or "mound."
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Torrance research. Another 212 words(15 lines of text) covering the year 1563 is included under the topic Early Torrance History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Torrance Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the Torrance family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. Another 327 words(23 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Torrance Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Thomas Torrance arrived in Philadelphia in 1808
- James Torrance, aged 28, arrived in Maryland in 1812
- John Steele Torrance, who landed in New York in 1834
- M Torrance, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1851
- Charles Edward Torrance, who landed in California in 1894
- Ellis Paul Torrance (1915-2003), American psychologist
- Sam Torrance (b. 1953), Scottish golfer
- Thomas Forsyth Torrance (b. 1913), Scottish theologian
- Chris Torrance (b. 1941), English poet
- Very Rev. Iain Torrance (b. 1949), President of Princeton Theological Seminary
- Jared Sidney Torrance (1852-1921), real estate developer and founder of Torrance, California
- Marco Torrance (b. 1981), German musician
- Robert Torrance, Professor Emeritus of Comparative Literature at UC Davis
- Thomas Torrance (b. 1913), Protestant Christian theologian
- Fairbairn,. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Donaldson, Gordon and Robert S. Morpeth. Who's Who In Scotish History. Wales: Welsh Academic Press, 1996. Print. (ISBN 186057-0054).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Fulton, Alexander. Scotland and Her Tartans: The Romantic Heritage of the Scottish Clans and Families. Godalming: Bramley, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-86283-880-0).
- Dorward, David. Scottish Surnames. Glasgow: Harper Collins, 1995. Print.
- Martine, Roddy, Roderick Martine and Don Pottinger. Scottish Clan and Family Names Their Arms, Origins and Tartans. Edinburgh: Mainstream, 1992. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Torrance Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Torrance Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 3 December 2013 at 18:53.
on orders of $85 or more