on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tilden family come from? What is the English Tilden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tilden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tilden family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilden, Tildon, Tylden, Tilderden, Tileden, Tillden and many more.
First found in Kent where they have held a family seat from very ancient times. The name distributed to three main branches. The senior line held a family seat at Milsted in Kent. The second in Sussex which produced most of the American Tildens, and the junior branch settled at Ifield. They possessed lands in Brenchly, Otterden, Kennington, Biddenden, Torry Hill, Wye and Tilmanstone from about the year 1327, but most likely much sooner.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilden research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1560, 1613, 1260, 1754, 1832 and 1628 are included under the topic Early Tilden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tilden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Tilden, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1623
- Nathaniel and Lidia Tilden with seven children who settled in Scituate, Massachusetts in 1628
- Nathanel Tilden, who landed in New England in 1634
- Thomas Tilden settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1635
Tilden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert and William Tilden settled in Belfast Me. in 1822
- T. B. Tilden settled in New York State in 1822
- Jacob Tilden, aged 17, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1837
- Leif Tilden (b. 1964), American award winning actor and director, best known for his role as Robbie Sinclair in the sitcom Dinosaurs
- Brad Tilden, American president and chief executive officer of Alaska Airlines and Alaska Air Group
- George Thomas Tilden (1845-1919), American architect active in Boston, co-founder of Rotch & Tilden active from 1880 through 1895
- Guy Tilden (1858-1929), American architect during the late 19th and early 20th century, eight of his structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Douglas Tilden (1860-1935), American world-famous sculptor
- William Tatem "Big Bill" Tilden II (1893-1953), American tennis player, considered one of the greatest tennis players of all time, World No. 1 player for seven years, he won 15 Majors: ten Grand Slams
- Samuel Jones Tilden (1814-1886), American politician who ran for president in 1876, winning the popular election but losing the presidency, eponym of Fort Tilden
- William Tatem Tilden, American Financial executive, president, Rock Industries Ltd., New Jersey
- Philip Tilden (1887-1956), English architect, who designed homes for Winston Churchill, David Lloyd George, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Philip Sassoon, Lady Ottoline Morrell and Gordon Selfridge
- Barbara Diane Tilden (b. 1955), New Zealand field hockey player at the 1984 Summer Olympics
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
The Tilden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tilden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 October 2014 at 16:10.
on orders of $85 or more