on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Tilden family come from? What is the English Tilden family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tilden family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tilden family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tilden, Tildon, Tylden, Tilderden, Tileden, Tillden and many more.
First found in Kent where they have held a family seat from very ancient times. The name distributed to three main branches. The senior line held a family seat at Milsted in Kent. The second in Sussex which produced most of the American Tildens, and the junior branch settled at Ifield. They possessed lands in Brenchly, Otterden, Kennington, Biddenden, Torry Hill, Wye and Tilmanstone from about the year 1327, but most likely much sooner.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tilden research. Another 291 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1560, 1613, 1260, 1754, 1832 and 1628 are included under the topic Early Tilden History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tilden Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tilden Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Thomas Tilden, who arrived in Massachusetts in 1623
- Nathaniel and Lidia Tilden with seven children who settled in Scituate, Massachusetts in 1628
- Nathanel Tilden, who landed in New England in 1634
- Thomas Tilden settled in Plymouth Massachusetts in 1635
Tilden Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Robert and William Tilden settled in Belfast Me. in 1822
- T. B. Tilden settled in New York State in 1822
- Jacob Tilden, aged 17, arrived in Key West, Fla in 1837
- Leif Tilden (b. 1964), American award winning actor and director, best known for his role as Robbie Sinclair in the sitcom Dinosaurs
- Brad Tilden, American president and chief executive officer of Alaska Airlines and Alaska Air Group
- George Thomas Tilden (1845-1919), American architect active in Boston, co-founder of Rotch & Tilden active from 1880 through 1895
- Guy Tilden (1858-1929), American architect during the late 19th and early 20th century, eight of his structures are listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Douglas Tilden (1860-1935), American world-famous sculptor
- William Tatem "Big Bill" Tilden II (1893-1953), American tennis player, considered one of the greatest tennis players of all time, World No. 1 player for seven years, he won 15 Majors: ten Grand Slams
- Fred C. Tilden, American Democrat politician, Candidate for Connecticut State House of Representatives from Windham, 1910
- Daniel Rose Tilden (1804-1890), American politician, Representative from Ohio 19th District, 1843-47; State Court Judge in Ohio, 1855
- Charles K. Tilden, American Republican politician, Member of Maine State House of Representatives from Kennebec County, 1919-20
- Galen Tilden, American politician, Mayor of Ames, Iowa, 1908-10
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Bolton, Charles Knowles. Bolton's American Armory. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1964. Print.
- Ingram, Rev. James. Translator Anglo-Saxon Chronicle 1823. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
The Tilden Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tilden Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 2 February 2016 at 09:01.
on orders of $85 or more