100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tidwell, Todwell, Tidewell, Titewell, Tidwall, Titwall, Tidewall, Totwell, Todwall, Tadwell, Tiddswell, Tideswell, Tidswell and many more.
First found in Derbyshire at Tideswell, a village and civil parish in the Peak District, home to more than 1700 people as of 1991. The village dates back to the Domesday Book 1086  where it was listed as Tidesuuelle, and literally meant "spring or stream of a man called Tidi" from the Old English personal name + "wella."  Turning the clock back, we found one of the first listing of the name was Henry de Tideswell who was listed in this shire in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 revealed Ricardus de Tyddeswelle. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tidwell research. Another 295 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1206, 1336, 1510, 1600, 1538, 1455, 1487, 1762 and 1842 are included under the topic Early Tidwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tidwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Luca Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived in America from Camborne, in 1899
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ray Tidwell, aged 21, who arrived at Barraquia, Tennessee in 1914
- Carrol Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived at New York, in 1919
- Virginia Tidwell, aged 4, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Kathleen Tidwell, aged 24, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Josiah Blake Tidwell, aged 53, who arrived at Waco, Texas, in 1923
- Monica Tidwell (b. 1954), American model
- John W. Tidwell, retired American basketball player
- Cortney Tidwell (b. 1972), American singer-songwriter
- George Ernest Tidwell (b. 1931), American federal judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Travis Vaughn Tidwell (1929-2004), American CFL quarterback and two-time All-American NFL quarterback
- Charles Tidwell (1921-1990), American NASCAR race car driver
- Thomas L. "Tom" Tidwell, Current Chief of the United States Forest Service
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Shirley, Evelyn Philip. Noble and Gentle Men of England Or Notes Touching The Arms and Descendants of the Ancient Knightley and Gentle Houses of England Arranged in their Respective Counties 3rd Edition. Westminster: John Bowyer Nichols and Sons, 1866. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
The Tidwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tidwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2016 at 10:04.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!