on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Tidwell family come from? What is the English Tidwell family crest and coat of arms? When did the Tidwell family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Tidwell family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tidwell, Todwell, Tidewell, Titewell, Tidwall, Titwall, Tidewall, Totwell, Todwall, Tadwell, Tiddswell, Tideswell, Tidswell and many more.
First found in Derbyshire at Tideswell, a village and civil parish in the Peak District, home to more than 1700 people as of 1991. The village dates back to the Domesday Book 1086  where it was listed as Tidesuuelle, and literally meant "spring or stream of a man called Tidi" from the Old English personal name + "wella."  Turning the clock back, we found one of the first listing of the name was Henry de Tideswell who was listed in this shire in the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273. The Yorkshire Poll Tax Rolls of 1379 revealed Ricardus de Tyddeswelle. 
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tidwell research. Another 295 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1206, 1336, 1510, 1600, 1538, 1455, 1487, 1762 and 1842 are included under the topic Early Tidwell History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Tidwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Luca Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived in America from Camborne, in 1899
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ray Tidwell, aged 21, who arrived at Barraquia, Tennessee in 1914
- Carrol Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived at New York, in 1919
- Virginia Tidwell, aged 4, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Kathleen Tidwell, aged 24, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Josiah Blake Tidwell, aged 53, who arrived at Waco, Texas, in 1923
- Charles Tidwell (1921-1990), American NASCAR race car driver
- Travis Vaughn Tidwell (1929-2004), American CFL quarterback and two-time All-American NFL quarterback
- George Ernest Tidwell (b. 1931), American federal judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Cortney Tidwell (b. 1972), American singer-songwriter
- John W. Tidwell, retired American basketball player
- Monica Tidwell (b. 1954), American model
- Thomas L. "Tom" Tidwell, Current Chief of the United States Forest Service
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
The Tidwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tidwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 May 2015 at 09:36.
on orders of $85 or more