on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Tidwell was first found in Derbyshire
at Tideswell, a village and civil parish in the Peak District, home to more than 1700 people as of 1991. The village dates back to the Domesday Book
where it was listed as Tidesuuelle, and literally meant "spring or stream of a man called Tidi" from the Old English personal name + "wella." 
Turning the clock back, we found one of the first listing of the name was Henry de Tideswell who was listed in this shire in the Hundredorum Rolls
of 1273. The Yorkshire Poll Tax
Rolls of 1379 revealed Ricardus de Tyddeswelle. 
Spelling variations of this family name include: Tidwell, Todwell, Tidewell, Titewell, Tidwall, Titwall, Tidewall, Totwell, Todwall, Tadwell, Tiddswell, Tideswell, Tidswell and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tidwell research. Another 295 words (21 lines of text) covering the years 1206, 1336, 1510, 1600, 1538, 1455, 1487, 1762 and 1842 are included under the topic Early Tidwell History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Tidwell Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Luca Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived in America from Camborne, in 1899
Tidwell Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Ray Tidwell, aged 21, who arrived at Barraquia, Tennessee in 1914
- Carrol Tidwell, aged 19, who arrived at New York, in 1919
- Virginia Tidwell, aged 4, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Kathleen Tidwell, aged 24, who arrived at New York City, NY, in 1922
- Josiah Blake Tidwell, aged 53, who arrived at Waco, Texas, in 1923
- Monica Tidwell (b. 1954), American model
- John W. Tidwell, retired American basketball player
- Cortney Tidwell (b. 1972), American singer-songwriter
- George Ernest Tidwell (b. 1931), American federal judge on the United States District Court for the Northern District of Georgia
- Travis Vaughn Tidwell (1929-2004), American CFL quarterback and two-time All-American NFL quarterback
- Charles Tidwell (1921-1990), American NASCAR race car driver
- Thomas L. "Tom" Tidwell, Current Chief of the United States Forest Service
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Mills, A.D., Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4)
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Bede, The Venerable. Historia Ecclesiatica Gentis Anglorum (The Ecclesiastical History Of the English People). Available through Internet Medieval Sourcebook the Fordham University Centre for Medieval Studies. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
The Tidwell Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Tidwell Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 19 January 2016 at 10:04.
on orders of $85 or more