Threlfall History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The name Threlfall came to England with the ancestors of the Threlfall family in the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Threlfall family lived in Lancashire, at Trelefelt.
Early Origins of the Threlfall family
The surname Threlfall was first found in Lancashire, where they held a family seat from ancient times as Lords of the manor of Threlfall. Originally Trelefelt, the documents of this manor have been lost, but at least it is recorded in the Domesday Book,  a census of England, initiated by Duke William of Normandy after his conquest of England in 1066 A.D.
Early History of the Threlfall family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Threlfall research. Another 66 words (5 lines of text) covering the year 1952 is included under the topic Early Threlfall History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Threlfall Spelling Variations
It is only in the last few hundred years that the English language has been standardized. For that reason, Anglo-Norman surnames like Threlfall are characterized by many spelling variations. Scribes and monks in the Middle Ages spelled names they sounded, so it is common to find several variations that refer to a single person. As the English language changed and incorporated elements of other European languages such as Norman French and Latin, even literate people regularly changed the spelling of their names. The variations of the name Threlfall include Trelfall, Threlfall, Threlfal, Threlfel, Threlfell, Threlful, Threlfull, Threlfield and many more.
Early Notables of the Threlfall family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Threlfall Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Threlfall migration to the United States +
Faced with the chaos present in England at that time, many English families looked towards the open frontiers of the New World with its opportunities to escape oppression and starvation. People migrated to North America, as well as Australia and Ireland in droves, paying exorbitant rates for passages in cramped, unsafe ships. Many of the settlers did not make the long passage alive, but those who did see the shores of North America were welcomed with great opportunity. Many of the families that came from England went on to make essential contributions to the emerging nations of Canada and the United States. Some of the first immigrants to cross the Atlantic and come to North America carried the name Threlfall, or a variant listed above:
Threlfall Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Stephen Threlfall, who settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1798
Threlfall Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- William Threlfall, who settled in New Orleans, La. in 1822
- William Threlfall, who settled in Philadelphia in 1854
- George Threlfall, who settled in Philadelphia in 1856
- James Threlfall, aged 36, who immigrated to the United States, in 1895
Threlfall Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- James Threlfall, aged 3, who immigrated to America from Preston, in 1906
- Ernest G. Threlfall, aged 33, who immigrated to America from Liverpool, in 1906
- Wm. R. Threlfall, aged 22, who immigrated to the United States from Southport, in 1906
- Joseph Threlfall, aged 27, who settled in America from Ashton, England, in 1907
- Richard Ernest Threlfall, aged 24, who immigrated to the United States from Birkenhead, England, in 1908
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Threlfall (post 1700) +
- Wilfred "Wilf" Threlfall (b. 1901), English professional footballer from Morecambe
- Edward Threlfall, English professional football defender of the 1930s
- Robert Richard "Robbie" Threlfall (b. 1988), English footballer from Liverpool
- Sir Richard Threlfall FRS (1861-1932), English chemist and engineer who established the School of Physics at the University of Sydney
- Mr. James Alexander Threlfall M.B.E. (b. 1993), British organiser of the Wiltshire Skate Series, was appointed Member of the Order of the British Empire on 29th December 2018 for services to Young People in Wiltshire 
- Thomas Robert "T.R." Threlfall (1885-1911), British trade unionist and Liberal-Labour politician
- David Threlfall (b. 1953), British actor, best known for playing Frank Gallagher in Channel 4's series Shameless
Historic Events for the Threlfall family +
- Mr. Thomas Threlfall (d. 1912), aged 44, English Fireman/Stoker from Southampton, Hampshire who worked aboard the RMS Titanic and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ "Birthday and New Year Honours Lists (1940 to 2019)." Issue 62507, 28 December 2018 | London Gazette, The Gazette, Dec. 2018, www.thegazette.co.uk/honours-lists
- ^ Titanic Passenger List - Titanic Facts. (Retrieved 2016, July 13) . Retrieved from http://www.titanicfacts.net/titanic-passenger-list.html