Thornicroft History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Thornicroft family
The surname Thornicroft was first found in Cheshire where they held a family seat anciently as Lords of the manor of Thornycroft Hall.
"The family that rose here has spread its roots all over England. 'Richard, lord of Siddington, confirms and quit claims to Richard, the son of Hamo de Thornicroft, all his right, Sic, in certain lands and tenements in a certain place called Thornicroft, in Sydyngton."  Earwaker's East Cheshire lists Richard de Thornicroft there in 1361 and later the same source notes Hugh Thornicroft, of Thornicroft in 1436.
Early History of the Thornicroft family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thornicroft research. Another 88 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1701, 1743, 1631, 1692, 1659, 1725, 1697, 1691, 1743, 1663 and 1667 are included under the topic Early Thornicroft History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thornicroft Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thornicroft, Thornycroft, Thorneycroft, Thorncraft and many more.
Early Notables of the Thornicroft family (pre 1700)
Notables of the family at this time include Sir John Thornycroft, 1st Baronet (1659-1725), an English Barrister-at-Law, High Sheriff of Oxfordshire in 1697. His son was Sir John Thornycroft, 2nd Baronet (1691-1743) but...
Another 33 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Thornicroft Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thornicroft migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thornicroft Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Edward Thornicroft, who settled in Virginia in 1698
Contemporary Notables of the name Thornicroft (post 1700) +
- Nicholas David "Nick" Thornicroft (b. 1985), English first-class cricketer
- Sir Graham Thornicroft F.R.C.Psych., FMedSci., (b. 1954), British Psychiatrist, Researcher and Professor of Community Psychiatry at King's College London was appointed Knights Bachelor on 17th June 2017, for services to Mental Health
- Henry "Harry" Scott Thornicroft (1907-1937), Native Commissioner in Petauke, in North-Western Rhodesia
Related Stories +
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)