Thole History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Thole family
The surname Thole was first found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat as Lords of the Manor. After the Battle of Hastings in 1066, William, Duke of Normandy, having prevailed over King Harold, granted most of Britain to his many victorious Barons. It was not uncommon to find a Baron, or a Bishop, with 60 or more Lordships scattered throughout the country. These he gave to his sons, nephews and other junior lines of his family and they became known as under-tenants. They adopted the Norman system of surnames which identified the under-tenant with his holdings so as to distinguish him from the senior stem of the family. After many rebellious wars between his Barons, Duke William, commissioned a census of all England to determine in 1086, settling once and for all, who held which land. He called the census the Domesday Book,  indicating that those holders registered would hold the land until the end of time. Hence, Richard Toly held a family seat at St.Thomas was descended from the original under-tenant shown in the Domesday census. Later records show Reginald filius Toli branched to Lincolnshire in 1214.
Early History of the Thole family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thole research. Another 90 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1640, 1575 and 1623 are included under the topic Early Thole History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thole Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Toli, Tooley, Toolly, Tooly, Thole, Tholi, Tulegh, Tuley, Twoley, Tuliegh and many more.
Early Notables of the Thole family (pre 1700)
Another 31 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Thole Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thole migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thole Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Wilh Thole, aged 23, who landed in New Orleans, La in 1845 
- Johann Thole, who arrived in Baltimore, Maryland in 1847 
- John A Thole, aged 27, who landed in Missouri in 1847 
- Bertha Thole, who landed in New York in 1848 
- Joseph Thole, who arrived in Ohio in 1869 
Related Stories +
- ^ Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds., Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8)
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)