on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Thistle family come from? What is the English Thistle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Thistle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Thistle family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thistle, Thissell, Thisell, Thisle and others.
First found in the Channel Islands where they held a family seat from very ancient times before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thistle research. Another 304 words(22 lines of text) covering the year 1663 is included under the topic Early Thistle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Thistle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Thistle settled in Marblehead Massachusetts in 1635
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Thistle settled in America in 1715
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Thistle settled in Philadelphia in 1862
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Amy Thistle of Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, claims her ancestors settled there in 1663
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas Thistle was Constable of Carbonear about 1730
- Thomas Thistle (1853-1936), English Anglican priest in England, New Zealand and Australia
- Anna Thistle, Canadian politician
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Reaney P.H and R.M. Wilson. A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X).
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Virkus, Frederick A. Ed. Immigrant Ancestors A List of 2,500 Immigrants to America Before 1750. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1964. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Zieber, Eugene. Heraldry in America. Philadelphia: Genealogical Publishing Co. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Thistle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thistle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 July 2012 at 10:15.
on orders of $85 or more