on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Thistle family come from? What is the English Thistle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Thistle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Thistle family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thistle, Thissell, Thisell, Thisle and others.
First found in the Channel Islands where they held a family seat from very ancient times before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thistle research. Another 304 words(22 lines of text) covering the year 1663 is included under the topic Early Thistle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Thistle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Thistle settled in Marblehead Massachusetts in 1635
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Thistle settled in America in 1715
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Thistle settled in Philadelphia in 1862
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Amy Thistle of Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, claims her ancestors settled there in 1663
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas Thistle was Constable of Carbonear about 1730
- Thomas Thistle (1853-1936), English Anglican priest in England, New Zealand and Australia
- Anna Thistle, Canadian politician
- Markale, J. Celtic Civilization. London: Gordon & Cremonesi, 1976. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Sanders, Joanne McRee Edition. English Settlers in Barbados 1637-1800. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Robb H. Amanda and Andrew Chesler. Encyclopedia of American Family Names. New York: Haper Collins, 1995. Print. (ISBN 0-06-270075-8).
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Crispin, M. Jackson and Leonce Mary. Falaise Roll Recording Prominent Companions of William Duke of Normandy at the Conquest of England. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
The Thistle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thistle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 14 July 2012 at 10:15.
on orders of $85 or more