on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Where did the English Thistle family come from? What is the English Thistle family crest and coat of arms? When did the Thistle family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Thistle family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thistle, Thissell, Thisell, Thisle and others.
First found in the Channel Islands where they held a family seat from very ancient times before and after the Norman Conquest in 1066.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thistle research. Another 304 words (22 lines of text) covering the year 1663 is included under the topic Early Thistle History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Thistle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Thistle settled in Marblehead Massachusetts in 1635
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Thistle settled in America in 1715
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Thistle settled in Philadelphia in 1862
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Amy Thistle of Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, claims her ancestors settled there in 1663
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas Thistle was Constable of Carbonear about 1730
- Thomas L. Thistle, American politician, Mayor of Melrose, Massachusetts, 1953
- Thomas Thistle (1853-1936), English Anglican priest in England, New Zealand and Australia
- Michael James Thistle (b. 1980), Australian cricketer who played several matches for Western Australia in 2003
- Anna Thistle, Canadian politician
- Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Galveston Texas 1896-1951. National Archives Washington DC. Print.
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Cook, Chris. English Historical Facts 1603-1688. London: MacMillan, 1980. Print.
- Skordas, Guest. Ed. The Early Settlers of Maryland an Index to Names or Immigrants Complied from Records of Land Patents 1633-1680 in the Hall of Records Annapolis, Maryland. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1968. Print.
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
The Thistle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thistle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 08:02.
on orders of $85 or more