on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
The surname Thistle was first found in the Channel Islands where they held a family seat
from very ancient times before and after the Norman Conquest
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thistle, Thissell, Thisell, Thisle and others.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thistle research. Another 304 words (22 lines of text) covering the year 1663 is included under the topic Early Thistle History in all our PDF Extended History products
More information is included under the topic Early Thistle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Jeffrey Thistle settled in Marblehead Massachusetts in 1635
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Richard Thistle settled in America in 1715
Thistle Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- James Thistle settled in Philadelphia in 1862
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 17th Century
- Amy Thistle of Harbour Grace, Newfoundland, claims her ancestors settled there in 1663
Thistle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Thomas Thistle was Constable of Carbonear about 1730
- Thomas L. Thistle, American politician, Mayor of Melrose, Massachusetts, 1953
- Thomas Thistle (1853-1936), English Anglican priest in England, New Zealand and Australia
- Michael James Thistle (b. 1980), Australian cricketer who played several matches for Western Australia in 2003
- Anna Thistle, Canadian politician
- Bradford, William. History of Plymouth Plantation 1620-1647 Edited by Samuel Eliot Morrison 2 Volumes. New York: Russell and Russell, 1968. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin, Eds. Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Matthews, John. Matthews' American Armoury and Blue Book. London: John Matthews, 1911. Print.
- Chadwick, Nora Kershaw and J.X.W.P Corcoran. The Celts. London: Penguin, 1790. Print. (ISBN 0140212116).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Dunkling, Leslie. Dictionary of Surnames. Toronto: Collins, 1998. Print. (ISBN 0004720598).
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
The Thistle Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thistle Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 9 November 2015 at 08:02.
on orders of $85 or more