Thisle History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
Early Origins of the Thisle family
The surname Thisle was first found in the Channel Islands where the name is generally believed to be derived from the French surname Touzel and in this case, it would have been a nickname for a "young man with hair cut short."  Alternatively, the name could have been for a "dweller near thistles or prickly plants." 
However, another source claims the name was a baptismal name as in "son of Thurkettle," and a variant of Thirkell or Turkle. "This corruption was an early one, for a township in the parish of Swine, East Riding of Yorkshire, bears the name Thirtleby, i.e. the dwelling of Thurkell, the first settler." 
The name may have been the root of the name Thistleton. In this case, the "surname is derived from a geographical locality. 'of Thistleton,' a parish in Rutland, eight miles from Oakham."  The earliest record of that family was found in the Feet of Fines of Lancashire in 1250 as Adam de Thistleton.  Just a few years later, the Hundredorum Rolls of 1273 listed Adam de Thistelton, in Lincolnshire at that time. 
The name Thistle is numerous in Newfoundland as according to family tradition "one of four Thistle brothers from Guernsey (Channel Islands) settled in Harbour Grace c. 1663." 
Early History of the Thisle family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thisle research. Another 77 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 166 and 1663 are included under the topic Early Thisle History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thisle Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thistle, Thissell, Thisell, Thisle and others.
Early Notables of the Thisle family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Thisle Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Thisle migration to Canada +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thisle Settlers in Canada in the 18th Century
- Henry Thisle, who settled in Belle Island, Newfoundland, in 1708 
Related Stories +
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland Montreal: McGill's-Queen's University Press 1998. Print. (ISBN 0-7735-1782-0)
- ^ Smith, Eldson Coles, New Dictionary of American Family Names New York, Harper & Row, 1956. Print
- ^ Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
- ^ Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
- ^ Seary E.R., Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, Montreal: McGill's-Queen's Universtity Press 1998 ISBN 0-7735-1782-0