100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Where did the English Thacker family come from? What is the English Thacker family crest and coat of arms? When did the Thacker family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Thacker family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Thicker, Theaker, Thacker, Thaker, Thecker, Thick, Thicke, Thike, Thicks and many more.
First found in Staffordshire where they held a family seat. The Saxon influence of English history diminished after the Battle of Hastings in 1066. The language of the courts was French for the next three centuries and the Norman ambience prevailed. But Saxon surnames survived and the family name was first referenced in the year 1199 when Walter Theaker held estates in that shire.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Thacker research. Another 289 words(21 lines of text) covering the years 1243, 1455, and 1487 are included under the topic Early Thacker History in all our PDF Extended History products.
More information is included under the topic Early Thacker Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Thacker Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Hen Thacker, who arrived in Virginia in 1642
- John Thacker, who arrived in Virginia in 1650
- Silvester Thacker, who settled in Virginia in 1650 with his wife
- Henry Thacker, who landed in Virginia in 1651
- Edmond Thacker, who landed in Virginia in 1653
Thacker Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Will Thacker, who landed in Virginia in 1714
Thacker Settlers in Canada in the 19th Century
- A Thacker, who landed in Victoria, British Columbia in 1862
Thacker Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Thacker, English convict from Essex, who was transported aboard the "Asia" on October 22nd, 1824, settling in New South Wales, Australia
- Emma Thacker, aged 21, arrived in South Australia in 1849 aboard the ship "Trafalgar"
- Charles Thacker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cromwell" in 1849
- Jane Thacker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Cromwell" in 1849
- Thomas Thacker arrived in Adelaide, Australia aboard the ship "Dorothy" in 1849
Thacker Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- Emily Thacker, aged 14, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Readman" in 1872
- Clara Thacker, aged 12, arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Jessie Readman" in 1872
- Annie Thacker, aged 20, a servant, arrived in Nelson aboard the ship "Chile" in 1874
- Colonel Robert E. Thacker (b. 1918), American retired test pilot, a lifelong model aircraft enthusiast and designer
- First Lieutenant Brian Miles Thacker (b. 1945), American Army officer and a recipient of the Medal of Honor
- Charles P. "Chuck" Thacker (b. 1943), American technical fellow and computer pioneer
- Blaine Allen Thacker (b. 1941), Canadian Member of Parliament in the Lethbridge from 1979 to 1993
- Major-General Herbert Cyril Thacker CB, CMG, DSO (1870-1953), Canadian soldier and Chief of the General Staff heading he Canadian Army from 1927 until 1929
- Henry Thomas Joynt Thacker (1870-1939), New Zealand Member of Parliament and Mayor of Christchurch
- Mr. Arthur T Thacker, British Chief Petty Officer, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Mr. G.M Thacker, British Chief Petty Officer, who sailed into battle on the HMS Repulse and survived the sinking
- Thomas Thacher, 1620-1678, Boston Branch, Progenitors and Descendants by Elwood James Thacher.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Burke, Sir Bernard. General Armory Of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales. Ramsbury: Heraldry Today. Print.
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Peerage and Baronetage, The Privy Council, Knightage and Compainonage. London: Burke Publishing, 1921. Print.
- Marcharn, Frederick George. A Constitutional History of Modern England 1485 to the Present. London: Harper and Brothers, 1960. Print.
- Hanks, Hodges, Mills and Room. The Oxford Names Companion. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2002. Print. (ISBN 0-19-860561-7).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Mills, A.D. Dictionary of English Place-Names. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-19-869156-4).
- Best, Hugh. Debrett's Texas Peerage. New York: Coward-McCann, 1983. Print. (ISBN 069811244X).
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Papworth, J.W and A.W Morant. Ordinary of British Armorials. London: T.Richards, 1874. Print.
The Thacker Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Thacker Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 27 July 2015 at 00:50.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!