Taylour History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
The distinguished surname Taylour is one of the many names that came to England in the wake of the Norman Conquest of 1066. The name is derived from the Old French "tailleor" or "tailleur," meaning "a tailor."
Early Origins of the Taylour family
The surname Taylour was first found in Somerset, and in Kent where they were granted lands by King William for their assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D. The name is widespread and can be found throughout England and Scotland.
Early History of the Taylour family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Taylour research. Another 147 words (10 lines of text) covering the years 1180, 1182, 1202, 1601, 1602, 1645, 1729, 1779, 1784, and 1850 are included under the topic Early Taylour History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Taylour Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Taylor, Taylour, Taylur, Tailler, Taillefer and many more.
Early Notables of the Taylour family (pre 1700)
Outstanding amongst the family at this time was Edward Taylor (1645-1729), who was hailed as the finest American poet of the 17th century upon the publication of his work in 1920...
Another 30 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Taylour Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Taylour family to Ireland
Some of the Taylour family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt. More information about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Taylour migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Taylour Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- William Taylour, who arrived in Connecticut in 1647 
- Edmond Taylour, who landed in Virginia in 1654 
- Abraham Taylour, who arrived in Virginia in 1660 
- Hugh Taylour, who arrived in Virginia in 1662 
- Joane Taylour, who arrived in Virginia in 1664 
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Related Stories +
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)