Early Origins of the Tannock family
The surname Tannock was first found in Northumberland
where the first record of the family was listed as John filius
Tunnoc in 1106 in Hodgson's History of Northumberland
. The family "remains as Tunnock in that district still." CITATION[CLOSE]
Bardsley, C.W, A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6)
Hodgson's History of Northumberland
also lists William filius Tunnok as residing there in 1250.
Further to the north in the same era, "William Tunnoc witnessed a charter by William de Horuirden to the Abbey of Kelso between 1160-1200, and c. 1237 Adam Tunnoc witnessed a charter of resignation of land in Kelso. " CITATION[CLOSE]
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
Other early records of the family include: Gilbertus filius Tunny listed in 1219 in the Assize Rolls of Yorkshire; Simon Tunnie, listed in 1327 in the Assize Rolls of Staffordshire; and an Alan filius Tunnoc listed in the 12th century in the Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis. CITATION[CLOSE]
Reaney, P.H and R.M. Wilson, A Dictionary of English Surnames. London: Routledge, 1991. Print. (ISBN 0-415-05737-X)
Early History of the Tannock family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Tannock research.Another 433 words (31 lines of text) covering the years 1160, 1400, 1414, 1421, 1663, 1600 and 1603 are included under the topic Early Tannock History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Tannock Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Tunock, Tunnoch, Tunno, Tunna, Tunnock, Tunnoc and many more.
Early Notables of the Tannock family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Tannock Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tannock family to Ireland
Some of the Tannock family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 82 words (6 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Tannock family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Tannock Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Quindon Tannock, aged 26, who emigrated to the United States, in 1892
- John Tannock, aged 31, who emigrated to the United States from Uddington, in 1894
- Thomas W. Tannock, aged 24, who landed in America, in 1896
Tannock Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Margaret Tannock, aged 36, who landed in America from Irvine, Scotland, in 1909
- Margaret Tannock, aged 49, who emigrated to America from Irvine, Scotland, in 1910
- Nellie C. Tannock, aged 36, who landed in America from Irvine, Scotland, in 1914
- Alan C. Tannock, aged 16, who landed in America from Twickenham, England, in 1920
- Arch. Findlay Tannock, aged 23, who settled in America from Ayr, Scotland, in 1920
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Tannock (post 1700)
- David Tannock (1873-1952), Scottish-born, New Zealand horticulturist and landscape architect from Tarbolton, Ayrshire
- Ross Tannock (b. 1971), retired Scottish footballer
- Dr Timothy Charles Ayrton Tannock, British politician and psychiatrist, Member of the European Parliament for London