The surname Szymczyk is of Polish origins. The name is derived from the personal name
"Szymon," and the characteristic Polish suffix "-ski," meaning "son of." Thus, the name Szymczyk means "son of Szymon."
Early Origins of the Szymczyk family
The surname Szymczyk was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family.
Early History of the Szymczyk family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Szymczyk research.Another 262 words (19 lines of text) covering the year 1460 is included under the topic Early Szymczyk History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Szymczyk Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Sxymanski, Syzmanczewski, Syzmaniecki, Szzymaniecki, Szymanowicz, Szymanowski and many more.
Early Notables of the Szymczyk family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Szymczyk Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Szymczyk family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Szymczyk Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- Jakob Szymczyk, aged 40, who emigrated to the United States from Leka, Austria, in 1907
- Fekla Szymczyk, aged 17, who settled in America from Moszczynce, Galicia, in 1909
- Martin Szymczyk, aged 25, who landed in America from Cerowan, Russia, in 1909
- Marianna Szymczyk, aged 2, who emigrated to America from Lesk, Russia, in 1910
- Adam Szymczyk, aged 6, who emigrated to the United States from Lesk, Russia, in 1910
- ... (More are available in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.)
Contemporary Notables of the name Szymczyk (post 1700)
- William Frank "Bill" Szymczyk (b. 1943), American music producer and technical engineer
- Milena Szymczyk (b. 1990), Polish ice dancer
- Franciszek Szymczyk (1892-1976), Polish Olympic track cyclist