Swider History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
- Origins Available:
The Polish surname Swider is derived from the word "swidrowac," meaning "to drill." Thus, the name Swider indicates "driller."
Early Origins of the Swider family
The surname Swider was first found in Polesie, the largest province of Poland. It is inhabited by Ruthenians, called Polesians, of Ukrainian descent. The main towns are those of Brest Litovsk, Pinsk, Kobryn, Kamenets, Litovsk, and Luninets. It was in this province that the renowned Radziwills and Sapiehas held their vast estates. Wolczyn was the seat of the Czartoryski family. The surname became noted for its many branches in the region, each house acquiring a status and influence which was envied by the princes of the region. In their later history the name became a power unto themselves and were elevated to the ranks of nobility as they grew into this most influential family. They held a family seat in Leibitz.
Early History of the Swider family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swider research. Another 102 words (7 lines of text) covering the year 1653 is included under the topic Early Swider History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Swider Spelling Variations
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swiderski, Swederski, Swidersky, Swedersky and many more.
Early Notables of the Swider family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Swider Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
In the United States, the name Swider is the 13,399th most popular surname with an estimated 2,487 people with that name. 
Swider migration to the United States +
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swider Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Oniri Swider, aged 60, who landed in Pennsylvania in 1741 
Contemporary Notables of the name Swider (post 1700) +
- Joseph E. Swider, American Democratic Party politician, Member of Connecticut State House of Representatives from Salem; Elected 1946
- Mike Swider (b. 1955), American football head coach at Wheaton College in Wheaton, Illinois
- Larry Swider (b. 1955), former American NFL football punter who played from 1979 to 1985
Historic Events for the Swider family +
- Mr. Stanislaw Swider, American Third Class Passenger from Detroit, Michigan, United States who was traveling aboard the Empress of Ireland and died in the sinking 
Related Stories +
- ^ https://namecensus.com/most_common_surnames.htm
- ^ Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
- ^ Commemoration Empress of Ireland 2014. (Retrieved 2014, June 17) . Retrieved from http://www.empress2014.ca/seclangen/listepsc1.html