100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Swedish
Where did the English Swenson family come from? What is the English Swenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
First found in Durham where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch.  Swainston Manor lies 1 mile (1.6 km) to the east of Calbourne on the Isle of Wight. It was originally a manor house but has now been converted to a hotel. It has a 12th-century chapel on its 32 acres thought to have been built by the Bishops of Winchester.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swenson research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swenson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Swenson, aged 29, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1838
- Gustavus C Swenson, aged 25, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1843
- Ephraim Swenson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Ewen Swenson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Anders Swenson, aged 38, landed in New Orleans, La in 1850
- Ruth Ann Swenson (b. 1959), American soprano who is renowned for her coloratura roles
- William "Will" Swenson (b. 1973), American actor, writer and film director
- Robert Alexander "Jeep" Swenson Jr. (1957-1997), American professional wrestler, stuntman, and actor
- Rick Swenson (b. 1950), nicknamed the "King of the Iditarod," an American dog musher, five-time winner of the 1,049-mile (1688.2 km) Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race
- Inga Swenson (b. 1932), American actress, known for her role as the second wife of Ben Cartwright in television western Bonanza
- Olaf Swenson (1883-1938), Seattle-based fur trader and adventurer active in Siberia and Alaska
- Anna Thilda May "May" Swenson (1913-1989), American poet and playwright, generally considered one of the most important poets of the 20th century
- Karl Swenson (1908-1978), American theatre, radio, film, and television actor, known for his work on The Sword in the Stone (1963), The Birds (1963), Judgment at Nuremberg (1961) and Little House on the Prairie (1974)
- Brett Swenson (b. 1988), American football placekicker
- William D. Swenson (b. 1979), American former captain in the United States Army, recipient of the Medal of Honor on 15 October 2013 for his actions in part retrieving bodies of the fallen on September 8, 2009
- The Search for Ancestors: a Swedish-American Family Saga by Hildor Arnold Barton.
- The Swenson Saga and The SMS Ranches by Mary Whatley Clarke.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Magnusson, Magnus. Chambers Biographical Dictionary 5th edition. Edinburgh: W & R Chambers, 1990. Print.
- Bardsley, C.W. A Dictionary of English and Welsh Surnames: With Special American Instances. Wiltshire: Heraldry Today, 1901. Print. (ISBN 0-900455-44-6).
- Bullock, L.G. Historical Map of England and Wales. Edinburgh: Bartholomew and Son, 1971. Print.
- Thirsk, Joan. The Agrarian History of England and Wales. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press: 7 Volumes. Print.
- Bowman, George Ernest. The Mayflower Reader A Selection of Articales from The Mayflower Descendent. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Fairbairn. Fairbain's book of Crests of the Families of Great Britain and Ireland, 4th Edition 2 volumes in one. Baltimore: Heraldic Book Company, 1968. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Weis, Frederick Lewis, Walter Lee Sheppard and David Faris. Ancestral Roots of Sixty Colonists Who Came to New England Between 1623 and 1650 7th Edition. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0806313676).
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Holt, J.C. Ed. Domesday Studies. Woodbridge: Boydell, 1987. Print. (ISBN 0-85115-477-8).
The Swenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 December 2014 at 07:47.
100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- no headaches!