on orders of $85 or more
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2015
Origins Available: English, Swedish
Where did the English Swenson family come from? What is the English Swenson family crest and coat of arms? When did the Swenson family first arrive in the United States? Where did the various branches of the family go? What is the Swenson family history?
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
First found in Durham where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch.  Swainston Manor lies 1 mile (1.6 km) to the east of Calbourne on the Isle of Wight. It was originally a manor house but has now been converted to a hotel. It has a 12th-century chapel on its 32 acres thought to have been built by the Bishops of Winchester.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swenson research. Another 195 words(14 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swenson History in all our PDF Extended History products.
Another 51 words(4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swenson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products.
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swenson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- David Swenson, aged 29, arrived in New Orleans, La in 1838
- Gustavus C Swenson, aged 25, landed in Boston, Massachusetts in 1843
- Ephraim Swenson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Ewen Swenson, who arrived in San Francisco, California in 1850
- Anders Swenson, aged 38, landed in New Orleans, La in 1850
- Swen Swenson (1932-1993), American Broadway dancer and singer
- Erick Swenson (b. 1972), American artist and sculptor
- Kenneth Lloyd Swenson (b. 1948), retired middle distance runner from the United States
- Jesse Swenson (b. 1986), American actor
- Mary Ann Swenson, American bishop of the United Methodist Church
- Kari Swenson (b. 1962), American former biathlete
- Eric Leon Swenson (1946-2011), American skateboard designer and magazine publisher
- Swante M. Swenson (1816-1896), American founder of the SMS Ranches in West Texas
- Oscar A. Swenson (1877-1951), Minnesota politician
- Perry Swenson (b. 1982), American professional golfer
- The Search for Ancestors: a Swedish-American Family Saga by Hildor Arnold Barton.
- The Swenson Saga and The SMS Ranches by Mary Whatley Clarke.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Library of Congress. American and English Genealogies in the Library of Congress. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1967. Print.
- Hinde, Thomas Ed. The Domesday Book England's Heritage Then and Now. Surrey: Colour Library Books, 1995. Print. (ISBN 1-85833-440-3).
- Egle, William Henry. Pennsylvania Genealogies Scotch-Irish and German. Harrisburg: L.S. Hart, 1886. Print.
- Shaw, William A. Knights of England A Complete Record from the Earliest Time to the Present Day of the Knights of all the Orders of Chivalry in England, Scotland, Ireland and Knights Bachelors 2 Volumes. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print. (ISBN 080630443X).
- Crozier, William Armstrong Edition. Crozier's General Armory A Registry of American Families Entitled to Coat Armor. New York: Fox, Duffield, 1904. Print.
- Elster, Robert J. International Who's Who. London: Europa/Routledge. Print.
- Hanks, Patricia and Flavia Hodges. A Dictionary of Surnames. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. Print. (ISBN 0-19-211592-8).
- Williams, Dr Ann. And G.H. Martin . Domesday Book A Complete Translation. London: Penguin, 1992. Print. (ISBN 0-141-00523-8).
- Samuelsen, W. David. New York City Passenger List Manifests Index 1820 - 1824. North Salt Lake, Utah: Accelerated Indexing Systems International, 1986. Print.
- Le Patourel, John. The Norman Empire. New York: Oxford University Press, 1976. Print. (ISBN 0-19-822525-3).
The Swenson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swenson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 5 December 2014 at 07:47.
on orders of $85 or more