100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!
An excerpt from www.HouseOfNames.com archives copyright © 2000 - 2016
Origins Available: English
The surname Swanson was first found in Durham
where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland
and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian
, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch. 
Swainston Manor lies 1 mile (1.6 km) to the east of Calbourne on the Isle of Wight. It was originally a manor house but has now been converted to a hotel. It has a 12th-century chapel on its 32 acres thought to have been built by the Bishops of Winchester.
Spelling variations of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swanson research. Another 195 words (14 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swanson History in all our PDF Extended History products
Another 51 words (4 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swanson Notables in all our PDF Extended History products
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swanson Settlers in United States in the 17th Century
- Johan Swanson, who landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1627
- Anna Swanson settled in Salem Massachusetts in 1630
- Robert Swanson who settled in Virginia in 1649
- Robert Swanson, who arrived in Virginia in 1649
- James Swanson, who arrived in Maryland in 1665
Swanson Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Thomas Swanson settled in Maryland in 1733
- Nicholas Swanson settled in Pennsylvania in 1771
Swanson Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- Daniel Swanson, who arrived in New Orleans, La in 1824
- John M Swanson, who landed in Tippecanoe County, Ind in 1849
- Albert Swanson, who landed in Texas in 1850-1906
- Alexander B Swanson, who arrived in Mississippi in 1857
- Charles Swanson, who arrived in Mississippi in 1874
Swanson Settlers in United States in the 20th Century
- H Swanson, who landed in Arkansas in 1903
- Nils August Swanson, who landed in Pensacola, Fl in 1904
- Swan Victor Swanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1911
- August Swanson, who landed in Wisconsin in 1920
Swanson Settlers in Australia in the 19th Century
- William Swanson, aged 23, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Marion"
- Janet Swanson, aged 30, a servant, arrived in South Australia in 1854 aboard the ship "Dirigo"
Swanson Settlers in New Zealand in the 19th Century
- J Swanson landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1841
- William Swanson landed in Auckland, New Zealand in 1845
- Robert Swanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Argyleshire" in 1870
- Annie Swanson arrived in Auckland, New Zealand aboard the ship "Stracathro" in 1881
- Charles Edward Swanson (1879-1970), American politician in Iowa, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Iowa's 9th congressional district (1929 – 1933)
- Carl A. Swanson (1879-1949), Swedish-born, American founder of the national food production company, Swanson
- Albert F. Swanson, American Republican politician, Candidate for U.S. Representative from Iowa 9th District, 1938, 1940
- Amy Nicholls Swanson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Ohio, 1996
- Andy Swanson, American politician, Representative from Iowa 5th District, 1936
- Arlo Swanson, American Democrat politician, Alternate Delegate to Democratic National Convention from South Dakota, 1960
- Arnold M. Swanson, American politician, Mayor of Bozeman, Montana, 1956-57, 1960-61
- Arvid N. Swanson, American politician, Village President of Westmont, Illinois, 1941-45
- Audrey Swanson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Texas, 2004
- Betty Swanson, American Democrat politician, Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Washington, 2000
- Prairie Memories: A History of the Swanson, Erickson, and Lindgerg Families of North Dakota by Algot R. Swanson.
- I Remember by D. Verner Swanson.
- ^ Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
- Burke, Sir Bernard. Burke's Genealogical and Heraldic History of the Landed Gentry: Including American Families with British Ancestry. (2 Volumes). London: Burke Publishing, 1939. Print.
- Leeson, Francis L. Dictionary of British Peerages. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1986. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-1121-5).
- MacAulay, Thomas Babington. History of England from the Accession of James the Second 4 volumes. New York: Harper and Brothers, 1879. Print.
- Hitching, F.K and S. Hitching. References to English Surnames in 1601-1602. Walton On Thames: 1910. Print. (ISBN 0-8063-0181-3).
- Burke, John Bernard Ed. The Roll of Battle Abbey. Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing. Print.
- Innes, Thomas and Learney. The Tartans of the Clans and Families of Scotland 1st Edition. Edinburgh: W & A. K. Johnston Limited, 1938. Print.
- Lennard, Reginald. Rural England 1086-1135 A Study of Social and Agrarian Conditions. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1959. Print.
- Humble, Richard. The Fall of Saxon England. New York: Barnes and Noble, 1975. Print. (ISBN 0-88029-987-8).
- Filby, P. William and Mary K Meyer. Passenger and Immigration Lists Index in Four Volumes. Detroit: Gale Research, 1985. Print. (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8).
- Colletta, John P. They Came In Ships. Salt Lake City: Ancestry, 1993. Print.
The Swanson Family Crest was acquired from the Houseofnames.com archives. The Swanson Family Crest was drawn according to heraldic standards based on published blazons. We generally include the oldest published family crest once associated with each surname.
This page was last modified on 7 February 2016 at 00:32.
100% Satisfaction Guarantee
- no headaches!