Early Origins of the Swainston family
The surname Swainston was first found in Durham
where they were Lords of the manor of Stockton from early times. But by the year 1221 they had moved north into Scotland
and acquired the lands of Swaynystoun, near Colinton, in Midlothian
, where Duncan Swainston was the scion of that branch. CITATION[CLOSE]
Black, George F., The Surnames of Scotland Their Origin, Meaning and History. New York: New York Public Library, 1946. Print. (ISBN 0-87104-172-3)
Swainston Manor lies 1 mile (1.6 km) to the east of Calbourne on the Isle of Wight. It was originally a manor house but has now been converted to a hotel. It has a 12th-century chapel on its 32 acres thought to have been built by the Bishops of Winchester.
Early History of the Swainston family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Swainston research.Another 167 words (12 lines of text) covering the years 1605, 1661, 1660, 1661, 1660 and 1661 are included under the topic Early Swainston History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Swainston Spelling Variations
of this family name include: Swainson, Swanston, Swenson, Swenston, Swainston, Swanson and many more.
Early Notables of the Swainston family (pre 1700)
Notable amongst the family name during their early history was Dr. Alan Swainston of York; and Francis Swanton (c 1605-1661) of Wincanton, Somerset
, an English lawyer and politician... Another 28 words (2 lines of text) are included under the topic Early Swainston Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Swainston family to Ireland
Some of the Swainston family moved to Ireland
, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.Another 169 words (12 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Swainston family to the New World and Oceana
Some of the first settlers of this family name were:
Swainston Settlers in United States in the 18th Century
- Allen Swainston, who arrived in New York in 1792 CITATION[CLOSE]
Filby, P. William, Meyer, Mary K., Passenger and immigration lists index : a guide to published arrival records of about 500,000 passengers who came to the United States and Canada in the seventeenth, eighteenth, and nineteenth centuries. 1982-1985 Cumulated Supplements in Four Volumes Detroit, Mich. : Gale Research Co., 1985, Print (ISBN 0-8103-1795-8)
Swainston Settlers in United States in the 19th Century
- John Swainston, who settled in New York State in 1823
Contemporary Notables of the name Swainston (post 1700)
- Roger Anthony Swainston (b. 1960), English-born, Australian painter, naturalist and zoologist, known for his paintings of the underwater world
- Henry D. "Harry" Swainston (b. 1880), English professional association footballer who played for Burnley from 1899 to 1900
- Stephanie Jane "Steph" Swainston (b. 1974), English literary fantasy/science fiction author, best known for her first novel The Year of Our War (2004) which won the 2005 Crawford Award
- Philip "Phil" Swainston (b. 1989), English professional rugby union player for London Wasps