Stopfithay History, Family Crest & Coats of Arms
Stopfithay is an ancient Norman name that arrived in England after the Norman Conquest of 1066. The Stopfithay family lived in Cheshire, at Stockport.
Early Origins of the Stopfithay family
The surname Stopfithay was first found in Cheshire where Sir Robert of Stockport was a Norman noble, son of Robert Fitz-Waltheof, Lord of Etchells, who was a tenant of the Baron of Dunham Massey. "The manor [at Etchells] was anciently in the Stockports, from whom it passed by female heirs to the Aldernes and Stanleys." 
Over in Bootle, Lancashire the Stockport family one half of the manor with the Beetham family. "The Stockport family held the other half, and appear to have secured a share of the plough-lands. In 1275 Ellen, widow of Robert de Stockport, claimed against Roger de Stockport dower in a messuage, six oxgangs of land, 60 acres of meadow, in Bootle. However, this holding was short lived as The Stockport share was transferred before 1292 to Robert de Byron." 
Early History of the Stopfithay family
This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Stopfithay research. Another 83 words (6 lines of text) covering the years 1238, 1636, 1675, 1654, 1700, 1770 and 1954 are included under the topic Early Stopfithay History in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Stopfithay Spelling Variations
Norman surnames are characterized by a multitude of spelling variations. The frequent changes in surnames are largely due to the fact that the Old and Middle English languages lacked definite spelling rules. The introduction of Norman French to England, as well as the official court languages of Latin and French, also had pronounced influences on the spelling of surnames. Since medieval scribes and church officials recorded names as they sounded, rather than adhering to any specific spelling rules, it was common to find the same individual referred to with different spellings. The name has been spelled Stockport, Stopfort, Stopford and others.
Early Notables of the Stopfithay family (pre 1700)
More information is included under the topic Early Stopfithay Notables in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stopfithay family to Ireland
Some of the Stopfithay family moved to Ireland, but this topic is not covered in this excerpt.
Another 60 words (4 lines of text) about their life in Ireland is included in all our PDF Extended History products and printed products wherever possible.
Migration of the Stopfithay family
Many English families emigrated to North American colonies in order to escape the political chaos in Britain at this time. Unfortunately, many English families made the trip to the New World under extremely harsh conditions. Overcrowding on the ships caused the majority of the immigrants to arrive diseased, famished, and destitute from the long journey across the stormy Atlantic. Despite these hardships, many of the families prospered and went on to make invaluable contributions to the development of the cultures of the United States and Canada. Early North American immigration records have revealed a number of people bearing the name Stopfithay or a variant listed above: J. Stockport landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1740; Edward Stopford settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1852.
Related Stories +
The Stopfithay Motto +
The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto.
Motto: Patriae infelici fidelis
Motto Translation: Faithful to an unhappy country.
- ^ Lewis, Samuel, A Topographical Dictionary of England. Institute of Historical Research, 1848, Print.
- ^ 'Townships: Scarisbrick', in A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 3, ed. William Farrer and J Brownbill (London, 1907), pp. 265-276. British History Online http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/lancs/vol3/pp265-276 [accessed 21 January 2017].